1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My 2010 Alembic Jason Newsted Elan 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BlackElan, Nov 24, 2010.

1. BlackElan

BlackElan

Feb 26, 2009
    I had always wanted this bass ever since I was 13 years old since I got my brand new copy of Metallica's "Live Sh*t" box set in 93.

It took me and two other TBers a few years to get all the specs 100% accurate to Newsted's Elan he had used for the bass solo in the Seattle 89 video.

warning Hetfield is cussing at the beginning of this video:

Part of the reason it was hard to get specs on it was because it had been so long since Alembic had made the bass then upgraded it to series II electronics it was left up to me to ultimately decide what era/specs of Newsted's Elan I would go with.

Fast forward to today, Alembic had informed me that my bass is done. They sent me these pics of it, too bad for me that I still have a balance I have to pay to the guitar shop so I wont be able to take it home till a little before Christmas.

So here are the pics, some fun facts, Alembic had to write a new CNC program to cut the half moon truss rod cover for this order since they had not made them in so many years. Also I had them use a old style plastic control cavity cover which they had not done in years as well. My goal was a 100% accurate replica, I do think the knobs are newer style but I can find the older glossy black ones so I am not too worried on that.

Also Jason's Elan was solid black his Europas were "Almost black" meaning from ten feet away they look solid but up close you can see the flamed maple. This one is solid black.

Pics:

14121_45viewL.

14121_backviewL.

14121_pegheadL.

Bassmann79 likes this.
  2. dose

dose

Nov 2, 2008
    Mobile,AL
    Awesome

3. Mr Guy

Mr Guy

Sep 27, 2010
    Sweeeeeeeet! It'll be a good Christmas for you.:bassist:

4. heard about this project some time ago.

Happy for you it is finally there. The bass is really sexy.

5. EtoG

EtoG

Sep 7, 2010
    Simply amazing.

Jason Newsted is an amazing player, and a personal favorite of mine. You'll be very happy with that bass. :bassist:

Rock it loud, rock it proud :D

Also, *clears throat*
    METALLICAAAAAAAAAAA!!! :hyper: :smug: :bag:

-EtoG

6. SkelterBass

SkelterBass

Oct 25, 2010
    Def super sexy! my brother even commented on how bad ass it looked! Pretty jealous :) MERRY CHRISTMAS...

7. BlackElan

BlackElan

Feb 26, 2009
    If anyone does ever order one of these feel free to ask me for the spec sheet, I could probably save you a few hours of research.LOL

There are a few things that were outside the spec sheet I had to specify with specific pictures like the tuner alignment with the headstock angle.

8. Looks great man! Congrats!

9. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    Congrats, play the frets off her! :)

10. Great addition !!! ;D hope you find lots of enjoyment out of her!!!

I really like the 3 p-up configuration!

11. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Very METAL, rock hard ! :bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist:

12. Exquisite. I remember clearly the mad bass envy that struck when I first watched the Live **** videos way back when too. Loved his Alembics (and his playing). Let us know how it sounds.

13. That is pretty much assumed with any live clip of Metallica.

14. jag-atk

jag-atk

May 5, 2010
    back in my teenage days (i've seen metallica live in 1992, black album world tour) i was in love with that bass. congrats!

15. I love the commitment, passion and drive that goes into projects like this. You have my respect sir and I wish you all the best with your beautiful bass.

16. FC Bass

FC Bass Alembic and Mesa/Boogie junkie

Jun 9, 2006
    Holland
    Awesome, congrats! :bassist:

I understand the long, long wait is almost over for you, have extremely much fun with her!

Though I don't really dig the 3 pickup setup, color, bodystyle etc.

:D

17. FC Bass

Jun 9, 2006
    Holland
    BTW: The knobs look as classic as classic can be to me, I think they're the excact ones as Newsted had on his bass ;)

18. Nice bass! I love Alembic basses and own a few of them. Not a Metallica fan though. I like the music but can't stand Hetfield's voice.

19. YogaBear

YogaBear

Jul 27, 2009
  20. FC Bass

Jun 9, 2006
    Holland
    My bass has the "Comfort taper" (thinner at nut, wider at bridge) so the J pickups are wider, for the rest they are the same as Jason's (Blackelan)

Jason's bass has the "Classic taper" and if I'm not mistaken they use 4 string J bass pickups for that taper on 5 string basses.