1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My 77 Jazz Bass.. I am torn...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sav'nBass, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass

Jan 18, 2009
    Virginia Beach
    I have a 77 Jazz Bass.. It was my first real bass... I got it in June of 77 and I paid $457.00 for it at Sam Ash in N.Y.C. on 48th St. I don't play it much anymore.. At one time I was going top sell it.. I have all the original hardware except the black pick guard, which got broken when I took it off.. so I replaced it with a tortoise shell one, which actually looks a lot better IMO.. anyway.. my dilemma is this..

I have a buddy of mine.. who has been gassing for my Jazz bass for the past 9 years.. Today he offered to buy it from me for $1000 and a 5 string P bass.. since he doesn't play the 5 ... he tried and it just didn't fly for him... but for me that's all I really play now and the main reason I don't play the Jazz .... I am seriously considering the offer.. but I have reservations .. because.. and here is the part that I am just ... kinda looking for feedback on.. That was my first real bass.. and I just feel like... I am selling one of my family heirlooms or something... I am surprised that I have the emotional attachment to this piece of wood & metal that I do... but I also see the practicality in it in that it would be played.. and I would get another bass.. one that I would play... plus with the $G I cold finally get the rig I really want which I am much clearer on now than I was about 18 months ago when I started getting my stuff together ..

(Before that I had been plying for my church and they used an Ampeg Ba115 and Avioms, which did the trick.. and at home I used my '01 SWR La15.. and since I didn't really play anywhere but home & church gear was not really an issue.. but since I joined an outside band I realized that what I had was not sufficient and I didn't want to use the church;s gear because too many people used it and if something went wrong I didn't want to be on the hook so I decided to get my own gear.. which is how I wound up here @ TB.. )

Anyway... is that silly? Even having this emotional attachment and being so torn about doing this... my logical mind says this is a no brainer... but my heart is saying How could you!!!! Is that just sillyness on my part.. or has anyone else been in this same situation...

2. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    I think you will regret selling the jazz. You have had that bass as long as I have been alive! It would be akin to my dad selling me for a better kid! Ok, maybe not that dramatic, but I totally get you, I couldn't part with it either, you never know when you will get sick of 5 strings and only want to play that 4 string jazz again. Your tastes change and it would be a shame to remove this great bass from your stable.

3. UnfortunateTony

UnfortunateTony

Jul 26, 2010
    Seattle
    Trust me man, I've been in the same situation. I almost traded my first bass away but thankfully I was talked out of it. I can understand the emotional attachment but if you really need the cash and that 5 string sounds like something you could really play then maybe it's time.

If you love something: Set it free.

4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I think you will regret selling it. I have a '63 P that I've had since 1967...I know darn well that any modern P sounds as good, but I've had that bass way too long to let go of it. You DO NOT have to play a bass often to justify keeping it. It's YOURS - it's paid for - you like it - so KEEP IT.

5. TheFantod

TheFantod #5 of the Pentaverate. Took Col. Sanders' spot.

Aug 7, 2009
    Eastern N.C.
    Don't sell it. It was your first bass. Do you wish you still had your first car?

I will never get rid of my first bass (Peavey T-40). It was my very first, and I learned a LOT of lessons with it. It's not the greatest bass in the world, but it holds a special place in my heart.

Keep it.

6. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    If you did sell it, at least it would go to a friend. But I don't think a grand and another bass would be enough for me.

7. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder

Nov 1, 2009
    I have a belief that the only time it is OK to sell a family heirloom, other than desperation, is in order to buy something that is itself likely to become an heirloom, something central and core to who you are.
    If the bass has no functional value, you can sell it or keep it for its emotional value. But if you do sell it, sell it for something of equal emotional and greater functional value. If not for you, for your kids or loved ones.
    I have a nuber of things I don't use that I or my inherited from loved ones: a beatle bass, china, rings, etc. So far we haven't sold them, but if we do it will for something CORE and lasting and pass-on-able, not fleeting or ho-hum or extra. So far, nothing has met these criteria.

8. louelou

louelou

Apr 20, 2005
    DON'T SELL!!!

9. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I sold my first good bass, a 70's Ric I bought new as a lad. Regret it every time I see one like it! I'd hang on to that Jazz . . .

10. BrBss

BrBss

Jul 9, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    I sold my first bass, and don't regret it at all. But it was a cheapo Silvertone starter pack so that doesn't really apply to your dilemma :)

11. Put me in the *sold my first good one & regret it* camp- mine was a humble Jazz Special(Duff 'sig', though that means nothing to me). I paid $447 for mine & got $450, but I miss it. I think you'll be kicking yourself soon after letting the Jazz go. Would your friend be willing to do a temporary trade- or buy the bass w/the stipulation that he has to give you first crack at getting it back should he ever sell?

12. Nickthebass

Nickthebass

May 22, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Another vote for keeping it.

You will regret it one day I am certain.

13. I keep my first bass disassembled under my couch. I hated the thing. I have never owned a 77 Jazz Bass, so that really doesn't help. I do get attached to my basses, but not that much.

14. I wouldnt sell it!
    I still have every bass i ever bought and i like it this way! Never sell a bass, that my rule number 1!
    You have owned this bass longer than most of us have lived! Its part of you...

15. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass

Jan 18, 2009
    Virginia Beach
    One of the things that is getting me with this is that I have done search and I cant find a P 5 for under $1200..... So that is making me think.. I know that my Jazz bass will be played so that is kind of a consolation to me.. I am still thinking...

16. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    let it become a family heirloom. its a 70's fender, itll be a good thing to keep around- especially with your own centimental feelings towards it.

17. I sold my first bass a few years ago (a '75 P bass) and though I felt a few pangs about selling it, I knew I could get a newer bass that was as good or better. It's not like I was playing it. It would have just sat under my bed or in my closet and not get any use. An instrument is meant to be played, and if you're not using it, why keep it?

18. Catbuster

Catbuster

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    No. It was a 1994 Ford Ranger 5-Speed. I delt with that POS for 5 years until I got my Class A liscense and an F350 DRW... Much better vehicle. :p

But yah, I miss my '72 P bass. I didn't know what it was worth.

19. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    don` t sell it.

20. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

The other thing to keep in mind is that it is definitely appreciating. In another 10 years it is likely to gain hundreds of dollars in value.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021