My amp is quiet on A's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MattZilla, Sep 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    I know this should be stuck in the portaflex thread being that it concerns a 70s B15n, but here we is.

I had assumed that, back when I had but one bass, a J, because I was jamming in similar sized rooms, it was the room's fault that I'd have to be very light when touching E's, and moderately gentle on the other ten notes to have A's not totally disappear. I then went through a few other basses (EB, Vette, P) and tunings, same problem, same fix. It's all of the A's on the fingerboard regardless of string gauge and tuning. Been playing in a far smaller than usual room lately and a stupid large hall, and in both places the problem persists.

Is it the Thiele cab? Does the amp itself need to be looked at by someone more qualified than a Lockheed engineer moonlighting as an enthusiastic Ampeg hobbyist (the guy I had swap the caps and tubes a few years back)?

2. Can you take your bass someplace where you can try it with a different amp?
    You've tried multiple basses, which would seem to point towards the amp.
    However, to fully confirm if it is the amp or not, you should try another.

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

My B15 is even across the fretboard. Perhaps your amp doesn’t like Canadians eh! :)

MattZilla likes this.
  4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Does the same thing happen with other amplifiers?

5. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021