Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My band is no more!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Yossarian, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    Boy oh boy, it is a sad day. My band is no more. All that gear searching, and as soon as I get it worked out, no band. Snap. I wrote about half the songs, so I wouldn't feel bad transferring them over to another band (and we broke up on good terms, so no one will really care) but I don't know what to do!

I'm a senior in high school, and I (along with my band) have torn our school apart searching for new members in the past. We know who plays what, and there really aren't many, if any, competent musicians. I live in a college town, so I figure it can't be TOO hard to find some talented college students who want to play punk, but I'm just not sure. Would any of you college folk (hypothetically) be opposed to joining a band with people still in high school? Or just one person I guess? It seems like it might cause problems... i dont know. Should I search through the college crowd? Or should I try to survive and wait until I'm in college myself. I might be just thinking about this too hard.

2. Well, technically I'm a college dude, and have been for a year. I actually had the experience of half the band being in high school for a year, and both of those people in my 4-piece didn't have drivers licenses in their senior year. If myself and a friend can put up with it, i'm sure you'll find someone to talk to with connections to hook something up. the key is making sure that you don't get a 26 year old or something. two years is a max when it comes to age difference

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    That's only true if you're dealing with immature people. In my experience, age is pretty irrelevant; what matters are the meeting points in your expectations, attitudes and availability.

For example, when I was in the VIth form at school (16-18 years old) I was in a covers group which consisted of me, a couple of friends from the school year below, a drummer we knew via church who was four or five years older and the guitar teacher who had been working at the school, who was somewhere in his late twenties. We had a great time and did a fair number of gigs.

What brought that band to an end was the three of us younger ones going to far flung universities, although even there we kept it going for a year or two (albeit more sporadically). It was good while it lasted though and there was nothing acrimonious when different paths finally laid the group to rest.

Personally, I'd suggest looking for opportunities and don't waste time asking about somebody's age.

Wulf

4. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    okay. I'm not worried about THEIR age, I'm just wondering if they're gonna be worried about my age. I guess that's pretty subjective though.

5. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    don't worry about it. you'll run into some people eventually.
    i used to be in a lot of bands and then stopped for a couple of years due to work and study. then my drummer (friend of a friend )called me up asking if i wanted to play in his band so...

age is not that important either. i once played with some snotty childish pimplefaced wanker but he is the best drummer i've ever played with. i usually don't socialize with my bandmates much.

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Bands come and go, typically your first few will come and go QUICKLY.

It's normal, don't sweat it TOO much, just keep playing and keep your ears open for anopther opportunity.

7. I am 30 years old and the guitar player for my band, which seems to be in the process of breaking up, is 16 years old. He has alot of talent, but he pawned his amp and axe for a drug debt a few weeks back.

You should be able to find someone to play. I think music transends our ages, unless one's maturity level is just not there.

8. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    I sure would hope so. Unfortunately, I'm hoping to play punk... not the most promising genre for mature musicians *sigh* why must I love it so?

Thanks for the advice though, everyone! I'm feeling better about searching through the college crowd.