1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My bands newest songs...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bassman0221, Jan 5, 2012.

1. bassman0221

bassman0221

Sep 30, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Hey folks! My band just recorded and posted 2 songs, let me know what you think!
    Glass Clovers | Facebook

Go to "Bandpage" and listen :)

2. bassman0221

bassman0221

Sep 30, 2009
    Richmond VA
    No one cares to listen and give constructive criticism?

Here is a youtube link for one of the songs btw....

3. Good effort on both. This is not my kind of music, but I"ll comment.
    I think the one on FB (couldn't find the second song) is cool, though I was waiting for the vocalist. The intro was a bit repetitive and long. I kinda had to skip forward on this one.

Listening to the second one. I realize the guitars have a similar "style" of playing. Too much of the same on two consecutive songs. Drums seem a bit over-complicated for what it was. I liked the bass playing on this one. I played this one twice. Singing seems a bit nasal.

I'd mix up the playing a bit. The bpm between those songs seemed rather similar.

4. bassman0221

bassman0221

Sep 30, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Thanks for your input, I will bring this up at our next practice. I have been telling the guys that we need to mix it up a bit so I am glad I am not the only one who noticed this. Again many thanks for your time and criticism.

5. Liam Wald

Liam Wald Supporting Member

May 17, 2011
    California Coast
    Repetitive and long... I would agree.
    It also sounded sterile and lacking emotion.
    To me it sounded like something that a credit card company would choose to make you listen to while "holding for the next available operator" thinking that it would be soothing when in reality it would only serve to make you more pissed off.
    Sorry, but I don't see any other use for it.
    PS; I was born in Richmond Va.

6. bassman0221

bassman0221

Sep 30, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Thanks Liam for your honesty and opinion. Good ole RVA...How much better is CA?

7. Liam Wald

Liam Wald Supporting Member

May 17, 2011
    California Coast
    Probably a little better weather, I get to leave my sailboat in the water all year long.
    Same sucky economy, but hey, we're the proud owners of two wars and maybe a new one on the way... yippie!

8. bassman0221

bassman0221

Sep 30, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Yeah the weather here just sucks 50% of the time, wouldn't be bad if the weather was consistent. Sailboat....must be nice!

9. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    I'll be brutally honest, but as nicely as possible, since you're asking for constructive criticism. Take it for what you will as I am just some guy on the internet. Please don't hate on me for my opinion :)

The sound you guys are seemingly going for has been done a lot at this point. There's a local Knox band that does the stuff you're doing, but even better, and I still don't see them making it anywhere with it. If you guys are doing music for the love of music then by all means continue, but I wouldn't expect you guys to go anywhere with it :meh:

The drums seem overly complicated for what you're trying to accomplish, and it takes away from the music (especially the tune on Youtube). I was trying to pay attention to the words and melody but kept hearing the weird placement of the snare and kept thinking, "man, that's annoying!" The rhythm guitar sounds too staccato for the smooth vibe you're seemingly trying to have. They pop out too much as if they're trying to say, "here I am!" and I wish they wouldn't.

Despite that, I thought the bass sounded good and fit the music well and came out at all the right times. The tone was also very nice (do I detect a jazz styled bass?). Hope that helps in some form or another.

10. bassman0221

bassman0221

Sep 30, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Hey Jmatt! Thanks for sharing your opinion, I have shared a link with my band members and we use criticism to hopefully build ourselves to be better players. Yup American Fender Jazz, deluxe. It wasn't mine but the studios, I however greatly miss my Fender Jazz after playing that one.

11. I agree with the drumming. It's a bit much for me on a spacey type tune. I always dig when a drowning tune has a just solid driving beat. I think Jmatt hit it pretty good on the review. More legato less drum work. Bass is solid not crazy all over the place. Over all it's pretty cool. I dig spacey chilled tunes I can just forget about stuff.

12. bassman0221

bassman0221

Sep 30, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Thanks cosmicpimp2!