1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Biggest Fan

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mark Andrew, Aug 16, 2018.

1. When an outdoor gig is coming up I often dust off the lead sled and practice with it at low volume. To help refamiliarize myself with the amp. This may seem pointless but it does help and I like to check the amp after periods of not being used. The thing is for low level practice I switch of the fan. I never do this on stage of course. The switch is non standard as far as I can see. The amp is a Peavey Classic 400. Am I pushing my luck doing this? Things got a bit toasty yesterday nothing broken yet.....advice welcome.

JimmyM likes this.
  2. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I'm thinking a better check would be settings you will be using in a live environment, prior to the show...

... is the fan really loud? Like, loud enough to hear when you're playing at low volumes? I'd leave the switch alone...

Aqualung60 and Helix like this.
  3. Allot quieter than the minimax fan. And an option to switch it off.....a live check always takes place of course. I think there are similar amps without active cooling but it is there for a reaon. So maybe I will have to leave it on .....

Bassbeater and Spidey2112 like this.
  4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    The amp has a fan, and it is not designed to work without the fan? Should tell you everything you need to know.

Stumbo and Spidey2112 like this.
  5. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Not sure where you store it, but if it's sitting that long, maybe open it up, using a compressor to clean out the cobwebs...

... at work, we've had weird problems crop up with computers, which run pretty much 24/7 (in a dusty environment)... as a preventative, we remove each one of them, open the cover, and blow the snot out of them, at least once a year...

... so the on/off switch (on the amp you have) was a mod? I could see turning it off, when the amp is not in use (between sets, possibly).

Bassbeater, Aqualung60 and Zooberwerx like this.
  6. Was indeed a mod for recording by previous owner I believe I will double check.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  7. Your Classic 400 has a fan? My Classic 400 didn't have a fan in it and I bought it new. Someone must have added one to it after it left the factory.

TD

Spidey2112 likes this.
  8. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Until you find the component(s) causing the problem, I'd leave the fan on...

... or, turn it off, and you'll find them really quick.

9. There is no problem running sweet and clean as a whistle inside...

Spidey2112 likes this.
  10. C
    Certainly does a big one at that....

Spidey2112 likes this.
  11. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Cool... literally, keep it cool. :thumbsup:

12. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Don't forget to check the radiator fluid.

As I understand it, amps run hotter with age due to the deterioration of components (...including heat sink compound itself) and, in turn, the heat acts as an accelerant. I see no good reason to defeat a cooling fan. If noisy, replace.

Riis

greenduke and Spidey2112 like this.
  13. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Sounds like it's an add-in, after the fact...
    Agree, Riis!

Zooberwerx likes this.
  14. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Yeah, but if it's a Hunter / Casablanca with a pull chain, the OP has a problem.

Riis

15. Hence I think with this info it's ok to run without? I bought the amp apparently ok but it had issues and took allot of work to get it to run reliably. The previous owner added the switch but not the fan as I recall...I had no idea it was not standard... Thanks for the info.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    Spidey2112 likes this.
  16. Could someone translate? :)

Spidey2112 likes this.
  17. Fan has been added at some point we have established;)

18. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    This is why we love you... when a situation, such as this, reaches critical mass, your voice of reason paves the road to hilarity...

(Wish I would have thought of it :thumbsup:.)

Zooberwerx and Mark Andrew like this.
  19. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    He usually speaks Klingon, and when prompted, does so sarcastically...

(think really big honkin' fan)

Mark Andrew likes this.
  20. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    They are referring to a ceiling fan.

Fantasia-Classic-52-Antique-Brass-Ceiling-Fan-110224-58580-p.jpg

Spidey2112 likes this.