1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My cab and amp stink, how can i remove it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by IguanaFish, Jun 2, 2018.

• Profanity and disrespect have no place here. Read the rules.
    Hello! I bought an amp and cab, second hand, but it stinks, if you know what I mean.
    So how can i remove those nasty odors from them? Its disgusting to play when i remember my grandmother´s wardrobe while im on it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2018
  1. What a weird coincidence. When I play, I remember your grandmother’s wardrobe too.

2. Glen 20.
    Febreeze.

3. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    If you prefer the smell of stale beer and dirty ash trays. A few gigs at a local dive should fix you right up.

Perhaps if you will tell us what the amp and cab are covered with, someone will offer a helpful suggestion to speed the transition. I have heard Murphy's Oil Soap is good for cleaning tolex...probably not an ideal choice for rat fur...maybe Febreze.

Eventually it will smell like IquanaFish. Then you will love it for sure ;).

Bill Whitehurst, JRA and jazzbass_5 like this.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Excuse me ... lay off the "old man's house" stuff, K?

TrevorG, sigterm, soulman969 and 3 others like this.
  5. G-Z

G-Z My other account is a

Apr 13, 2018
    Straya
    Baking soda is supposed to be good at ripping odours out of stuff. Maybe put the rig in a wardrobe for a few days with an open box of baking soda.

BadExample likes this.
  6. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Sit an open bottle of beer on top of it and turn up the bass ... It will automatically remove the old people smell and replace it with a beer smell... works every time. ;)

Wisebass, Korladis, spaz21387 and 5 others like this.
  7. If ass hair, vacuum first, the Fabreze, let dry, repeat several times... If tolex, clean it with a spray cleaner. Windex, etc. and brush, then wipe down...then ArmorAll, Fabreze the grill cloth... If you have a drum air cleaner, stick it and the cab in a bathroom for a day or so...
    Depending on cab size, AFTER CLEANING, you can fill a couple of coffee filters with fresh grounds, zip tie the filters closed and sit em on cab and slide a big commercial trash bag over the cab and leave it for a day or so at the time... Grounds will pull moisture and odors... I use Fabreze and grounds with old guitar cases.....

8. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Just get some cat pee and spray it all over the amp and cab. Problem solved.

9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    On a more serious note, sunshine.

I'm not joking. Whenever it's a pretty day where you are, set it outside. UV light takes care of more than you can imagine.

If the problem is extreme, pop out the speakers and set it where the sun shines down into the cab. Open up the amp so the sun shines into the guts.

I'm serious. I was gigging back when there was smoking in all the clubs. Sunshine gotnrid of all the stale beer, smoke, and bad perfume buildup. Sometimes it takes a day or two.... or in extreme cases three.... to get the job done. But it works every time.

Be advised. Depending on the source of the smell, tue first day of sun and fresh air may make the smell WORSE. It's somehow "working its way out of the gear". That's the only way I know to describe it. But after the second or third day of bright sunlight your smell issues should be resolved.

Just make sure there aren't neighborhood pets waiting to replace the smell with something else.

10. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Don't go spraying anything into the amp, otherwise you will end up with a bigger problem that will make you wish your amp just smelled. Time will help the smell dissipate.

11. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

images2b2.png

and two fingers 's suggestion of using the sun is easy and free! good luck! :thumbsup:

and god bless granny!

Wisebass and G-Z like this.
  12. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I was going to say spray the amp guts with a mixture of bleach and salt water and put it out of its misery. ;)

gumtown, G-Z, S-Bigbottom and 2 others like this.
  13. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    What do you mean by "on it".

Are you sitting on the thing you are playing? Maybe position yourself in front of it were the odor is not so strong.

14. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    ^ that might account for Edro's weirdly specific question, which has to it (ahem!) a whiff of hard-won experience. I *don't* wanna know how he knows this...

edro likes this.
  15. I've heard that spraying lemon and vinegar mixed with water and drying it in the sunshine does wonder.

dbase likes this.
  16. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Maybe it will help IF you don't mind staining and bleaching of the surface.

Wisebass, Rip Van Dan and dbase like this.
  17. :bag:

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  18. Spraying INTO the amp will kick it into what I call TMS mode....

Tuned for Maximum Smoke.

;)

Wisebass, Korladis, BassPilot and 2 others like this.
  19. I imagine combination of a good B+ and 'wet' will lend itself to an interesting finale.....

BadExample likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 19, 2021