1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My cab and amp stink, how can i remove it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by IguanaFish, Jun 2, 2018.

1. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Water is fine, it's the dissolved salts and minerals that are the issue. DI water has those salts and minerals removed.

2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Depending on where you live, water can have all sorts of contaminents and additives. Some cities add bleach to kill micro-organisms, you can smell it in the summer. Others add fluoride. Who knows what else. Mineral content varies. The spring water that I buy has calcium and other minerals. Purity is important. Ionized compounds are not good which is why deionized water is used.

3. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    The military equipment that I was refering to that was hosed down was tube based.

I have seen documents that describe field repairs of military equipment. In those cases flushing with water may be the only option. Also equipment in the field can be subjected to drenching, immersion, and other rough conditions. They have to survive those conditions.

During desert storm, some tube based communication systems were brought back into service and production. The R-390A receiver is one example. Sand getting into solid state radios was causing them to fail. The tube equipment worked.

4. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Manufactures recommend that carbon composition resistors that have absorbed moisture be baked at 100 degC (212 F) prior to use. The resistance and noise levels change.

http://www.rcd-comp.com/rcd/press/Resistor FAQ.doc

Some test equipment have ovens built in to stabilize components. For example, it makes oscillators perform better.

Stumbo likes this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021