1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My cab and amp stink, how can i remove it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by IguanaFish, Jun 2, 2018.

1. BobKos

BobKos Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Marijuana growing has spurned the refined development of ozone based odor killing machines. They've been around for a while, but the technology and capacities have grown along with the growing crowd's needs. It works pretty good. I have a couple 'ozone tubes' I bought for use in used cars. The trick to odor eradication is to try to remove the offending material - turds, food, etc. THEN - use a bacteria killer whether it is ozone, detergent, UV sunlight (which DOES work great) or other deodorizer. The bacteria are what make the odors. If you put your cab in a closed room with an ozone machine, it will clear up pretty quick.

G-Z likes this.
  2. How though?

3. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Well I wouldn’t put an ozone machine in a room of your house because ozone is toxic. The oxidation is not just harmful to bacteria and Mold. I just used it today and put it in the garage and had the windows open in my house just to make sure any stray gas dissipated.

agedhorse likes this.
  4. ChrisBee

ChrisBee

Sep 9, 2015
    Ozone is unstable and rapidly breaks down into O2 - Oxygen molecules - so the only precaution then is to avoid naked flames or flammable vapour which could make an explosive mixture.

BobKos likes this.
  5. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Ozone is quite an irritant

Stumbo likes this.
  6. I have purchased used gear in the past only to find it smells when I received it. I have tried just about everything. All the chemicals do is make it smell worse. I found that leaving it outside will eventually get rid of the problem. Depending on how bad it is, it can take a long time.

7. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    coroners on tv and in movies put some kind of balm under their nose.

BadExample likes this.
  8. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    A respirator with charcoal filters should work and like Johnny Bench says about Blue Emu, you won't stink.

9. J-Bassomatic

J-Bassomatic

Mar 30, 2017
    Canton OH
    OK, I think I've answered this before. They have these things called ozone generators. Put that cab in a closed room and pipe in the ozone. Do not, I repeat DO NOT, do this where you live, do it in a remote location. I'll give you an example. I purchased a house where the previous owners were smokers, and I mean smokers, like even the pets smoked. I ran this thing overnight (it was an industrial model) and stayed somewhere else, and the next day I had to hold my breath, go in and open all the windows and get the hell out. Eight hours later, smells were gone, all kinds of dead insects laying all over who knows what else. It sounds gross but it works. Just don't breathe that stuff. Nothing survives ozone.

DeliriumTremens likes this.
  10. I once worked at a mortuary and we had rats and they died in the walls causing a rotting smell, which as you can imagine is not good for business at a mortuary. We used ozone generators to remove the smell.

J-Bassomatic likes this.
  11. J-Bassomatic

J-Bassomatic

Mar 30, 2017
    Canton OH
    You just have to be careful.:thumbsup:

12. Exactly. Most of our guests weren't going to be affected by the toxic affects but the staff were very careful not to be around the machines until we had aired out the areas. It really worked though.

13. snarebear

snarebear

Apr 19, 2012
    Spray it with some cheap perfume and list it on Feebay. No return of course.

14. J-Bassomatic

J-Bassomatic

Mar 30, 2017
    Canton OH
    :thumbsup: It's serious stuff.

15. Well, Thank you for all of the advice! In the end I opened the bass head, it wasn´t a bad idea after all.
    Then, a new cloth, a can of pledge wood cleaner, a can of compressed air and voila! It just needed to have some air on it in the end.
    The cab was a piece of cake, the same method, pledge and cloth, but it only needed to be cleaned from the outside, so, problem solved!

16. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Even the pets smoked! Classic!
    Could be those insects died of second hand smoke too. The ozone just pushed them over the edge.

J-Bassomatic likes this.
  17. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Pledge inside the amp???

18. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Oh man! You had rotting rat carcasses in the walls?? Not to mention the rat dung! That stuff is nasty. After school job?
    Here, scoop out his innards....

IguanaFish and Stumbo like this.
  19. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Maybe the amp is an old Leslie cabinet they used in a church.

20. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Maybe just compressed air inside the amp?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 15, 2021