1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My cab and amp stink, how can i remove it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by IguanaFish, Jun 2, 2018.

1. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Ba-da-boom!

Wisebass, BadExample and edro like this.
  2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Dust can smell - get the dust off - gently. Normal maintenance.

El Apestoso likes this.
  3. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    Try using the soap you're washing your potty mouth out with.

mikewalker, eJake and Zane DeBord like this.
  4. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    What about putting it in the garage and running an ozonator? Should oxidize out a lot of the contamination. In combination with sunshine and putting a big fan on it outdoors blowing fresh air you’ll dissipate most of the smell. A friend proposed to “trade me speakers” because my peavey columns matched his back home in New Brunswick. He brought me old fenders and the packaging leaked on the way across Canada in the back of his pickup, or they were just old and musty. After days on the porch with a big industrial size fan on them no way that musty smell was coming out of there so I said no way I’m taking those. Some smells are probably more trouble than they’re worth.

5. Mister Boh

Mister Boh

Oct 23, 2016
    Annapolis, MD
    Smells like what?

I got smoke out of a combo amp in about 3 days by doing the following: blow all the dust and crap out with compressed air, spray Zep on a cloth and rub the inside and outside of the cab thoroughly with it, same for the grill or grill cloth. Gently dust with a dry microfiber cloth on the speaker and just use the compressed air on the amps guts.

Aim a house fan into the enclosure and leave it for a day, then repeat if necessary.

Ozonator should work well but they are expensive arent they?

Pet Politics likes this.
  6. Signalsdrone

Signalsdrone

Feb 6, 2017
    SW Ontario
    Roll up some nice fat joints and hotbox yourself and your new gear in the bathroom. If that doesn't change the smell, it'll make you not give a damn about it for a few hours. :D

7. foolforthecity

foolforthecity Supporting Member

I wonder if Ozium in the gel canister time-release would help at all without damaging anything?

8. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    My rack unit still smells like an ashtray and smoking has been banned in bars for years. I could take an afternoon to unrack everything and wipe everything down, but who’s got time for that.

mikewalker likes this.
  9. Oh man!
    Your Leprechaun that lives in all cabs died. :(

10. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Shoals Indiana
    If it is rat fur, you can use a carpet cleaner. I had a rank cabinet that was stained, matted and stunk. I used one of those Bissel Little Green Machine carpet cleaners with a little Fabreeze mixed with the shampoo. Afterward I set it out in the sunlight to dry. It looked like new and smelled like a bouquet of flowers.:thumbsup:

11. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    What ever happened to everything's better when wet?

mikewalker and edro like this.
  12. Pet Politics

Pet Politics My real name is Michael, but how exciting is that?

Nov 14, 2007
    Burbank, CA
    Enzyme cleaner

13. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Yup, now he's gotta stick a dog in there to eat the Leprechaun.

El Apestoso and S-Bigbottom like this.
  14. Nope, the magic is gone time for the trash.

You can put a bottle of whisky in the port and see if you can catch another, but it usually attracts ones not matched for that cabs performance. :meh:

Korladis, Bassgeer and mikewalker like this.
  15. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    Odoban-made with eucalyptus.
    Clorox "urine" remover spray. Any pet odor/stain spray is going to help the situation.
    +1 to all of the other great
    de-stinkulator ideas.

16. MatronMother

MatronMother

Jun 22, 2009
    We all know the smell. Reminds me of faux wood panelling in bass'ments

BORAX and or BAKING SODA! Available at any grocery store. I use both with a handheld vacuum to clean up any I decide to put directly on gear.
    Baking Soda neutralizes PH levels and should completely absorb the odours.

Now. Borax will kill all the mildew, mold and fungi growing in your gear causing the smell. Sunshine will kill the smell as well but Borax will destroy the order causing culprits for good.

Before cleaning anything do take the amp and or cabinet apart.

"Borax is a mold and mildew fungicide which means it kills mold and then also controls it and stops it from returning"

Open either product and add the white chalk to 3 separate containers. Place on in the head, one in the cabinet and one outside.

Or purchase 3 boxes and poke holes in the front of the box so you can lay it flat.

Hope this helps!

Wheezerbass likes this.
  17. gt96g

gt96g Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Philly Area
    Fabreeze for tolex as others have said. Then just some time to air out.

18. Eric Swaim

Eric Swaim GOD, U.S. MIlitary, Country Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Murfreesboro, TN
    1) Dumpster juice will get the smell out.

2) Loaded baby diaper, put amp and cab in a box with loaded baby diaper on top. For this to work it has to be on a hot summer day. Leave 6 hours, and then throw a lit match on top of box. If no explotion happend, repeat the process until you get a mushroom cloud after explotion.

3) Sell it to a person with nasal issues and allergies, if they can't taste the bad smell, your in luck.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    mikewalker likes this.
  19. thephilosopher

thephilosopher

Dec 22, 2004
    I got an amp from a smoker and ended up disassembling it and wiping down the cabinets with Spray Nine and they smell fine now. Left 'em outside in the sun to dry afterward.

20. Ronson Lighter Fluid should work. Take the amp outside and empty the contents of the can onto the amp, stand back and throw a match at it. After the flames die down the offending odor will be gone and replaced with an "Outdoorsy campfire" smell. I was a Boy Scout, you can trust me. ;)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 12, 2021