my DP custom is finished!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RockStar571, Aug 13, 2005.

1. i just got the e-mail from dave saying that my dp is all finished. haha i think i might be just a little too excited about getting it in.

2. bea-utiful! Looks great, I hope she sounds as good as she looks!

3. well she's got an aggy obp-3 preamp and bart pickups so it should have some sound to back up the looks
  4. Touche! I'm sure she'll wake the neighbors.... In the next county over! You may want to put a "Beware of Dog" sticker on the case for that thing... You gotta warn people when you have that much bite!

5. I usually am not too big a fan of the looks of some of those boutique customs, but i must say, damn that thing sure looks nice. i really like the white/red stripes in the center, makes it look spectacular. btw, what type of wood is that?
  6. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Nice bass!

Cool fingerboard...what kind of wood is that? Also, what are the controls please? Maybe I should do a search and see if you've already posted specs.

7. yeah, thats a really good looking bass!
    theres just something really appealing about that bottom horn
  8. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Im waiting for my DP Custom.... should be coming in Feb?

What are the specs on that bass? The fretboard wood looks interesting, what is it? Can you give us a review?
  9. That FB almost looks like a quilted maple or a pau ferro... well, to me at least.

10. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Very nice.

Of course, we expect a full review when you have received it and had a chance to spend some time with it. :)

11. good eyes, it's pau ferro

the specs are follows:
    spalted maple top
    maple base wood
    neck lams are maple and paduk
    as mentioned before bart pups and aguilar pre amp
    coil tap switch,active passive switch, kill switch and a phase reversal

as soon as she comes in i'll post a full review
  12. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Nice pics!
    Hope the physical item will be...even better!

+1 on the review thing...
  13. okay guys it's in and i've had a chance to check it out and it's more beautiful than in the pictures. the sound is amazing and everything works likes a dream. it's just silly to try and compare the workmanship to anything else in this price range. the attention to detail is amazing i've never seen a control cavity with this much stuff in it look so clean and tight. the setup was medium low with no dead spots. at first i thought it was going to be a little top heavy just by the design but as it turns out it's balanced with no neck dive when playing with a strap. i've not had a chance to play it with a group yet but i'm sure the sound will cut through like a knife. i'll try my best to post some sound samples in the next week or so.

if you're waiting around on ordering one of these go ahead it takes a while but it's well worth the wait
  14. Shawnost

Shawnost It's all about the Hamiltons baby! Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    Looks great. Please post some more pics when you get a chance, I can't really get a feel for the workmanship off of the dpcustom website (pics are low quality). Dave's shop is not too far from my house in Charlotte, I may have to see if I can visit and see the work first hand. But of course I'm not looking at anything else until I get my 6'er from that other NC luthier...cough..Roscoe...cough.

15. That looks great froman, can I come to floyd co and touch it? :)
  16. haha jaybo i'm in morehead more than i am fc...pop on over and we'll jam some. i realize of course that my new baby here doesn't have enough strings for you though ;)
  17. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Now that a new dp thread has started... hows about your 2 cents/review? Im very interested (im sure many of us are)
  18. i couldn't be happier with the workmanship or my interactions with dave. great guy, great basses
  19. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    I'll be getting mine in maybe a couple of weeks and will post an indepth review. Don't know how to post good pics though.