1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My E String keeps breaking.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Nexus1012, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Nexus1012

Nexus1012

Mar 20, 2010
    I've been playing bass for almost a year now, and I recently bought a new bass because I though it was better than my old one.

But anyway when I put on my E I let it set and stretch. Then when I begin to tune it UP or DOWN to E or D it snaps. This has happened 4 different times. I dont think it is the strings they all have been Slinky Erine Ball. Last night I was able to put a thick A string, .085, on there I can tune it up and down to E and D. I asked a friend of mine and a couple of other bass players and they have all said they dont know what the problem could be. It breaks at the tuner. I dont turn the tuner fast, I turn it very slow. I trim them all right, measure it so the string goes around the Tuner 3 times. Anyone ever had this happen or know what is wrong with it?

2. Check your nut, sounds like it might be holding the string so tight that as you tighten it the string isn't sliding through the nut. Double check the tuner to make sure it doesn't have a sharp spot that's cutting the string. If the bass is from a music store, take it back to them and tell them your problem. If it's a new instrument I would think this would be a warranty issue. In 45 years of playing I've never encountered this problem.

3. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    Check to ensure that your E-string tuner post doesn't have a burr on it. If the point where the string is bent over the post before the first winding is very sharp, it could be cutting into the string at that point.

4. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Are you winding the wound part of the string around the gear? That is to say, the thickest wound part, not the thinner part? If so, you're guaranteed string breaking.

5. gregwatts2008

gregwatts2008 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Jupiter, Florida
    I have seen something like this before, but it was a tiny burr on the bridge saddle. Get a magnifying glass and take a look at the nut.

6. No, it's breaking at the tuner...

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020