1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My favorite child is growing! Spider content.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by CrispyDelicious, Mar 31, 2009.

1. So my favorite pet tarantula, Ultra-5, a Salmon Pink Birdeater, molted a few days ago. When I got it a couple of years ago, it was no bigger across than a dime. It's not full grown yet, but when it is it will be anywhere from 8-12 inches across. I know the pics are a little blurry but I snapped them at 5:30am and I was a bit groggy - I was just really excited to see it out and wandering around. In another week or so, I'll upgrade him to bigger food, probably a juvenile mouse (it's been eating superworms and baby mice for the past couple months). I love this spider! To give you an idea, in the top pic, the distance from tip to tip of the longest splayed-out legs is about 7.5 inches. Its fangs are over 1cm long.

Vadim050.

Vadim051.

2. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    wow he's a healthy one no doubt.

3. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    aaaaaaaaaaand....no thanks.

*shudder*

4. Chriss62

Chriss62

Jul 24, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Awwww, it's cute!!

5. Spiders bother me a lot but I'm glad it's doing well.

Ultra-5 is an awesome name though.

6. Thanks! I've never been big into "people names" for animals.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    How do you know it won't bite you?

-Mike

8. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    Because it wuvs him :p

9. Ha! I know for a fact it WILL, so I never give it the chance. Actually, this guy is my most docile of the three. And by docile, I mean, if I drop a drop of water on the ground next to it, he will attack, thinking the vibrations mean food. I would never attempt to handle it.

My other two (an Indian Violet and Togo Starburst) are smaller, but way faster and more venemous. The Indian Violet is actually venemous enough that getting bit would mean major agony. Probably a swollen arm for a day or two. The Togo, I hear, is pretty close to that also.

10. TallLankyBastyd

TallLankyBastyd

Jan 31, 2007
    Seattle
    For now...

11. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    He's a cutie,let him bite you it strenghtens the bond between you too.I used to let my birdy-brother bite me and I used to bite him too.We still have a bond even though its been years he left this world.:smug:

12. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Did him "leaving this world" have anything to do with you biting him back? Maybe a little too hard?

On the other hand, how do they taste?

13. You had a bird? Did you vaccuum it?

14. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I hear the legs taste like miniature king crab legs.

Live_King_Crab.

15. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    lmao.

Anyway.
    Ewww.
    The picture gave me chills.

16. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Superworms are Leopard Gecko food.

That's kewl to see. I can identify with your excitement. Got any "Ultra 5 Growing Up" pictures?

We have an emperor scorpion named Ben, after the Bebop Cola episode of Sealab 2021. He is only in his third instar (time between molting). It was cool when he molted. He basically went from a turd with legs, claws and a stinger to the archetypal scorpion body shape (only little) We kept the exo-skeleton.

We are proud parents. It's been a while since he has shed though....we'll have to do some checking around.

Before Molting
    ben3.

After Molting
    ben5.

17. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    He bit me really hard that one,last time.I lost my temper and...thats the reason I turned vegan,everything tastes like him since the incident.:(

:p

Man I miss that kid...

hahaha:p

18. Mmmmm. Quab.

the-deadliest-catch.

19. Cool scorp man! I had a tanzanian redclaw a while back. Cute little guys!

20. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    I owned a Mexican red Legged Tarantula for about 7 years, gave it away to a nature center years ago.

Red Legged ones were very tame. You worry more about hurting the spider that yourself. I was allergic to the hairs. It would make my arms break out in a rash when I handled her. Funny how they always want to climb toward your head when you hold them.

Mine escaped several times, But I found her. I got tired more of the live food issue. Crickets are disgusting to keep.

Like Tropical fish it became just another chore I had to do and grew tired of it.