1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My first amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr.Brightside, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Mr.Brightside

Mr.Brightside

Dec 5, 2006
    Ok so ive decided on a bass (SX Scorpion) but now i need to choose an amp, idealy i dont want to speand more than £60 delivered just incase i don't play as much as i would hope so its not really a loss. Music wise im into RHCP, green day, muse, lostprophets, kooks, the killers so i'll be (trying) to play stuff in those sort of regions (if that helps)

Any advice:bassist:

:bag:

2. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    If you just want something to tool around on, it's best to get into a music shop and look at the used stuff... it may be a little intimidating if you're just a beginner, but don't worry about it, you can always ask a salesperson to play a few different amps for you. Just be sure that you bring your bass with you, that way you know what it'll sound like when you practice.

I'd say that a combo with at least one 12" speaker would be fine... seriously, go used... I'm not sure what readily available where you're at, but Peavey's usually a great value used... if I ever run across another older Roland combo (like late 70s/early 80s) I'll probably pick one of those up... I don't remember the model number of the one I was playing, but it sounded awesome. Best of luck.

3. arbarnhart

arbarnhart

Nov 16, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Great choice on the Scorpion! I think my Fender Rumble suits it well, but I went for the high end of practice and low end of rehearsal/gigging at 60W. If you're still on the fence about it, get a really small practice amp. I would not buy anything over 10W unless it was 60W or more. At 10W or below, I would worry less about whether or not it claimed to be a bass amp, BTW. If you go up to the 60 or better, you should shpo only for bass amps.

4. Mr.Brightside

Mr.Brightside

Dec 5, 2006
  5. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    Trust me, go used, you can get much more amp than that. It says it has a 4" speaker, the whole combo is probably not even a foot tall (or 30cm to you). Bass frequencies eat up a lot of wattage so, since this is for practice, something right around 40-60 watts and a 10" or 12" speaker should be good (I'd be thinking about a 12" 'cause you could even jam with friends if everyone keeps a reasonable volume). Just my two cents.

6. Zakk007

Zakk007

Jun 27, 2006
  7. Mr.Brightside

Mr.Brightside

Dec 5, 2006