My first bass - Ibanez SR800 1994

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by naike, Feb 17, 2021.

1. naike

naike

Feb 17, 2021
    Hey,

I'm a longtime guitar player and I've always been interested in the instrument. It's definitely been one of the sounds that I focus on when listening to music.
    Our band has been writing songs for some time now, and this has shifted my focus from only playing guitar to also assist/take over other instruments when it comes to songwriting or tracking for demo songs.

I had the option to buy a Cort C4H with cosmetic damage, a Marcus Miller M3 (in very good condition), but decided to pay a little more for this Ibanez as it's Japanese and in excellent condition. The exact model is SR800 in Royal Blue (RB) and I paid 260€, which is an OK price here in Europe I guess (?).

As I said it's in excellent condition for its age.
    The finish has barely any scratches, only the headstock has some damage in the finish (see photo). There are one or two others, but they are only light ones which can be buffed out if needed. The pots work perfectly, no scratching or anything.
    The only thing I'm not sure of is the fret wear. I tried to find images online, but couldn't really conclude the level of wear on mine, maybe you bass players can judge if the fret wear is acceptable?
    A minor "issue" I've discovered, which doesn't seem to be a specific issue with the bass, but rather a general one with some basses, is that the E string seems to be higher in volume (when playing DI that is) than the other strings. I've tried adjusting the pickup height without success.. Any tips?

I'm excited to discover bass playing, especially in a band setting (arrangement etc.) :)
    Maybe you can comment on the fret wear?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022