1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My First Markbass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jollybigginboy, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Well, I went into my local GC today expecting to pick up an Ernie Ball that had been hanging around for a while. As i turned the corner to the bass section I noticed they had in a few Markbass amps. Thanks to this forum I couldn't resist the temptation towards them.

I plugged into the LMII and I was blown away. I grabbed the Bongo I had been looking at and played my heart out. For the first time, I fell in love with an inanimate object. The amp was the clearest, most beautiful sounding I had ever heard.

Needless to say I walked out $600 poorer and happier than i ever thought something like this could make me. I got home to try out all of my old basses through it and they all sound at least $1000 better. The amp sounds like something that I would have to pay at least $1500 for.

I just wanted to thank all the people on here hyping the Markbass line.. without your words I never would have tried those little orange amps.

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Depending on how many basses you have, you might just be richer than you think!

3. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    You're welcome. And, welcome!

4. Tim, I gotta admit it was partly your posts that tempted me as I usually use my jaguar live. I figured if Markbass was good enough for most and the jaguars/geddys were too. Why not me?

5. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    You got a MarkBass instead of a Bongo?!?! :confused: Oh man. :(
    Anyways, congrats! Hope you like it. :)

6. The power of MarkBass never ceases to amaze me. :smug: Congratulations!

7. Don't worry Roon, the bongo will still be coming soon (I'm kind of hoping to pick up one of the six-strings when they first come out). I just didn't know how long the markbass amps would be available there. As far as I know there are only limited stores that carry them, and i bought the only LMII. Whereas, I can buy a bongo at any GC or most local music stores.

8. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    PHEW. :smug: :)

9. luckeeee!

10. xlows

xlows

Oct 21, 2006
    Minnesota
    I wonder how many people on this board have ended up having exactly the same tone by buying hype amps/basses/cabs? I can't imagine the Sadowsky/LMII/NV610 tone (among so many others) is all that uncommon in this circle. Glad you're happy though.

11. Got a question for all you MarkBass lovers:

Except for model availability, why aren't there more raves about the SA450 or R500 (the one with a tube in the pre)? They're all 500 watters. The SA450 has semi-para on the middle two EQ controls. Or is it just the size of the LMII? Just curious...

12. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    haha.

Honestly, and speaking in complete market generalizations, I can't figure out why everyone likes them so much. They're just "okay" in my book. Nothing special, and the tone is rather vanilla. The only thing the MB heads have going for them IMO is "small", and when the novelty of that wears off, what do they have to offer? Not much me methinks. If the same MB tone was in a normal size head with a normal sized weight, they'd be rather ordinary. So, it's going to be hard for them to keep the special place they have now. That's all IMHO.

That said, I'm glad many people are happy with them, really I am. I just wonder how long it's going to last.

13. waffle puzzle

waffle puzzle space and time coordinator

Aug 22, 2007
    Sacramento, CA
    Hello---my very first TB typing. I recently purchased the LMII, and am very pleased with the pairing with my Berg 322 cabinet. I run a TON of fx pedals and the end result is much more crisp than with the tube amps I've used.

Quite simply I didn't get the other MB models because I couldn't afford the extra cost. I initially got the LMII to create a smaller version of my rig, for smaller gigs or environments, or as a backup, but I ended up selling my Mesa Boogie 400plus, and am going ss with my next purchase, too, which I haven't decided on yet.

Note---I play synths too, and use bass amps as an onstage monitor, and for rehearsal---a built in backup. I currently use the Genz Benz 200 1x15 combo for the keys, but might go with another rackmount ss head with my next purchase.

14. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to TB! :)

I'd like to see some of the Classic 300 heads, they look pretty cool. Interesting that not many people are talking about them.

15. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I disagree.

Yes, light weight is a factor, but so is:

- versatility... hello VLE!!!

-price

-loudness

I'm not aware of many, if any, amps that meet those four criteria.

16. Yeah- I've a LMII & a NV610, but I RARELY use 'em together. IMHO both are good products. I MAINLY use the LMII with my Jazz band-with my EUB/ & elec. bass Gtr-& the LMII is a GREAT sounding amp with PLENTY of power & also I think it does what the advert said it does( & more) thats be a 'neutral'sounding amp-reproducing the instrument w/out 'coloring' it too much. IMHO it does a GREAT job. Size had something to do with my purchase of it, but the tone,power & price, & HIGH level of workmanship had much more!

-Jolly..Boy... Congrats on yr "find" I think U made a GOOD move! LMII's do a good job of providing a clean tone-which can be 'sculptured' easily & greatly. I imagine a 6 str. BONGO would sound AMAZING thru yr rig!!!!!!!!!!! I LOOK FORWARD 2 HEARING YOUR REVIEW OF THE COMBINATION-whoops caps lock!!!

17. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    For me, I prefer no tube(s) because I don't even like the thought of screwing around with them. I can take this LMII and throw it in an old laptop case or backpack - it weighs near 5 pounds, and when I plug in and start to play, the sound is just brilliant! Anyhow, I actually prefer solid-state to tube, and I am not a tine snob, so that may contribute to that.

18. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I do really like the VLE feature, and it's one I wish all heads had. However, I currently have passive tone controls on all my basses, so the VLE would be redundant for me.

Price and loudness of the LMII is in fact great. You are right about that. But the tone has to be great to make it all worthwhile for me, and that's the part that doesn't impress me much. For those people who like the tone though, the LMII is a steal. Having said all that, I think I could live with one if I had to. I lean more toward a creamy sounding head, like an Eden or a Mesa, but I want a little more articulation, like a Genz Benz or a Thunderfunk. IMHO, the LMII has plenty of articulation and punch, but not enough cream. :)

19. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Methinks the lady doth protest too much.

Fact is, Markbass is eating a lot of other company's lunches, and rightfully so. I imagine there's a lot of scrambling going on right now at those companies - the ones smart enough to know what happens to dinosaurs. Ultimately it'll make life easier for bassists as more lightweight diversity hits the scene, but right now Markbass has the winning formula.

20. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Best sounding SS head I've ever heard!!!! However, I agree, if you like tube bloom or a significant 'tube' warmth or 'give' in your tone, they would not be for you!

Actually, per the above, the amazing thing to me is that it's the first small, lightweight micro type head (I've owned them all!) that doesn't sound at all like it's small. I would rebuy this amp if it was double the price and triple the weight. That's what has many of us so blown away. There is, IMO and IME, absolutely no indication in the tone that it is a 'micro'. The LMII has a unique combination of quickness and 'relative transparency' while still having a surprising amount of warmth and character in the mids... a little growl to go with the very clean, deep low end extension, and crystal clear highs (if you want them). And, the power to weight ratio is stunning across the entire Markbass line.

And... the SD800 is TOTALLY off the page.... 7 pounds, and at least IME, true 'lead sled' oomph... first time I've ever experienced that kind of 'hit you in the chest' thump from an amp less than 35 pounds:bassist:

EDIT: Sorry for the derailing gushing... to the OP... congrats and enjoy!