1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My first real rig!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by UrsaMinor, Feb 27, 2020.

1. UrsaMinor

UrsaMinor

Jun 10, 2012
    Knoxville, TN
    Okay, so this isn't a troll post! I haven't posted here in a while since I lost a bit of interest in playing over the past few years. However, I came across a deal that I need a bit of help with. You see, I sold all of my gear and really haven't played bass in almost 5 years, so whenever a friend of mine told me about a rig for sale, I kind of didn't know what to say or do. I don't know much about gear from a technical standpoint and decided that I would come here first.

I am going to look at an Ampeg 6x10 with a 6 space rack, Crown XLS 1000, Korg DTR 2000, and a Tech 21 Sansamp this Sunday. We talked a bit and if I pick it up, he said I could have it all for $600. I ordered a new G&L Kiloton Tribute bass today and that should be here by Saturday afternoon. So I will be taking that bass to try everything out since he apparently doesn't own a bass anymore. He is a guitar player and the rig is actually his brothers.

My question here is if everything is in working order, do you think the price is fair? I am looking to play rock mostly and mainly with a pick. So I thought this rig might be a good option for myself going forward. I have just been outta the loop on gear and the bass world for a hot minute now. Any advice I can get from the members here would be greatly appreciated.

2. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Is the Sansamp the RBI , the rack version ? That would be a killer rig no matter what and at that price is pretty much a steal . I have used Sansamp/Crown rigs and love them . S7300424.JPG

3. UrsaMinor

UrsaMinor

Jun 10, 2012
    Knoxville, TN
    I honestly don't know as he wasn't home whenever we talked today. He just said it was a pedal and I assume it is probably the Sansamp Bass Driver DI but I will find out everything on Sun since we are both busy until then.

4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul SUSPENDED

If the equipment belongs to the man's brother does he have his brother's permission to sell it??

Qlanq, BOOG, dkelley and 1 other person like this.
  5. GmanJeff

GmanJeff

May 16, 2008
    Vienna, VA
    Price aside, be sure you're comfortable with that kind of rig - it's big and heavy, like over 100 lbs heavy.

6. UrsaMinor

UrsaMinor

Jun 10, 2012
    Knoxville, TN
    Yeah, he has permission to sell it for sure. I asked him about that to make sure, too. Good call, though. :bassist:

Yeah, the weight will be a little much to deal with at first since I have to get it up some stairs :cool: BUT it will be okay since I have help...the trusty ole dolly. I am not going out with any bands right now since I need to get back into practicing a lot more. So it will just be in my space to jam with if I decide that it's a done deal.

Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul SUSPENDED

OK Break a string! :D

Aqualung60, Bassdirty and UrsaMinor like this.
  8. BasturdBlaster

BasturdBlaster Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Crandon WI
    I'm curious, does the sansamp pedal have enough output to "properly" feed the crown xls1000?

9. UrsaMinor

UrsaMinor

Jun 10, 2012
    Knoxville, TN
    Good question; But they told me he used to use it as his preamp and all was fine. Never an issue according to him. But any advice from TB's out there is more than okay! I have a couple of days to think this over but I thought it might be a steal of a deal if everything checked out.

BasturdBlaster likes this.
  10. Paging @tech21nyc

UrsaMinor and BasturdBlaster like this.
  11. BasturdBlaster

BasturdBlaster Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Crandon WI
    Btw, sounds like a great deal on a great rig!:thumbsup::)

Aqualung60 and UrsaMinor like this.
  12. Shooting from the hip I expect the Crown is 1.4v input sensitivity so BDDI would be down on drive for full noise operation. 610 somewhat makes that moot.

hrodbert696 and BasturdBlaster like this.
  13. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Northumberland, UK
    Yeah I'm guessing that the Sansamp won't quite make it all the way, but that is somewhat negated by having 1100W into a 6x10".

Besides, it would be trvial to put something like a Behringer Mic100 in the rack to sit between the Sansamp and the power amp.

14. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended Supporting Member

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    Price sounds right. A lot to lug around. If everything sounds good, snag it!

Thorny1 likes this.
  15. UrsaMinor

UrsaMinor

Jun 10, 2012
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks so far everyone. I would like to know more about the pedal I'll be using for a preamp. Do you think it would be wise to sell this one and get the rackmount as soon as I am able? I know the crown is a 1.4v sensitivity and I keep hearing the rackmount sansamp would be a far better option.

16. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    Try to avoid the 6u rack. I used to have that rack and is very annoying to carry that thing sround.

red_rhino likes this.
  17. UrsaMinor

UrsaMinor

Jun 10, 2012
    Knoxville, TN
    I can imagine. It just all comes as a set. I might be able to trade it for a smaller one since I won't really be playing out right away.

18. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    The pedal will work fine but the rack mount is way more convenient . I had the pedal at first and it's hard to get to to make changes on a small stage . It is where your EQ is .

19. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    I think it's a fair price but if it was me, I would just make an offer for the cab and pair it with an Ampeg head.

20. UrsaMinor

UrsaMinor

Jun 10, 2012
    Knoxville, TN
    It only comes as a set. He doesn't want to piece it out. I was trying to do that actually but no dice. I could always just sell the rack, power amp and tuner or trade for a head of some sort. Options, options.

Bassdirty likes this.