1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

my first refinish project

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by zonda95, Jun 3, 2012.

1. zonda95

zonda95

Jun 3, 2012
    Tjhsst, VA
    so I am new here and only 16 and i got a 2001 Mark Hoppus bass off ebay last year for $275 it wasnt in the best condition and some of he paint (not much) had come off and the neck wasnt intonated well, and there is the fact I like j bass necks more than p bass necks. so i decided i might as well refinish it in the color that I actually wanted. Ever since I had seen Blink-182 playing aol sessions with a grafitti yellow bass i had wanted one( his plaid bass is also really cool).
    here is what it looked like before anything
    402877183.jpg

then i took the neck off and sold it and stripped the body with a heat gun. I wanted this bass to be pretty unique so i routed the body out for reverse pick ups so that i could play either reversed p bass pickups or normally oriented. i then got a lefty rosewood allparts neck becasue i saw that the bassist from jimmy eat world had a reversed neck and i thought it was cool.
    picture unfinished
    402877175.jpg

then I cleaned it, filled the grain( from guitar reranch), and put sanding sealer( deft lacquer sanding sealer off amazon on and primed( w/nitro aerosol from reranch) it.then for the back of the nec i used neck amber from ohio valley nitro and tv yellow from them for the color coat. i made a paintbooth out of pvc in my back yard and painted it. I put one coat of yellow on and then clear coated, then i did 2 coats of neck amber and after taking out some dust and respraying some i put 6 clear coats on. Then i got fingerboard dye from stew mac and dyed the figerboard black to make it look like ebony. and that is where it is now.
    402877181.jpg

so my luthier who has sort of guided me on this project as well as helped set up my guitars and such says that i should sand down the clear now and then do another frew layers then wait a week or so then sand that down and do it again then buff it.

2. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    Looks great ! I tried something similar when I was 16, but with less than stellar results !

3. zonda95

zonda95

Jun 3, 2012
    Tjhsst, VA
    well, i am not meaning for this project to be perfect. while talking to my dad about it i said " i dont want this to be perfect, i want it to be yellow," oh and the neck amber looks amazing i need to get a good picture of it

4. looks good

5. Alrod

Alrod

Apr 7, 2012
    Nice!

Just out of curiosity, how long did it take you to strip the finish off the body?

6. zonda95

zonda95

Jun 3, 2012
    Tjhsst, VA
    it took under an hour and the paint on back came off in almost 1 piece so i kept it.

7. JavierFarias

JavierFarias

Feb 9, 2011
    Chile
    Great!
    I'm looking forward to see the results!!
    Good luck!

8. zonda95

zonda95

Jun 3, 2012
    Tjhsst, VA
    anyone know of any black string through bridges? think i'll need one to go with the rest of my black hardware, the normal chrome one wont cut it.

9. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Norway
    Hipshot A?

I think allparts make black fender-style bridges as well.

10. zonda95

zonda95

Jun 3, 2012
    Tjhsst, VA
    the only ones i have been able to find so far are squire ones

11. zonda95

zonda95

Jun 3, 2012
    Tjhsst, VA
  12. zonda95

zonda95

Jun 3, 2012
    Tjhsst, VA
    so im putting the last of my clear coats on and the back of the neck looks like this. 403808783.jpg

13. zonda95

zonda95

Jun 3, 2012
    Tjhsst, VA
    well i put the final coats on so i have to wait 2-3 weeks till i buff and then when i do ill post some pics of the finished product. :)

14. zonda95

zonda95

Jun 3, 2012
    Tjhsst, VA
    do any of know about this bridge? http://www.wdmusic.com/bass_bridge_black.html there arent a whole lot of black string through ones that look fairly similar to the stock one . i though this might be good but there isnt a brand or anything.

15. zonda95

zonda95

Jun 3, 2012
    Tjhsst, VA
    well i finished it. at least till my new bridge and pickguard comes (hopefully tomorrow)

404027432.jpg

im getting a black bridge and pickguard with the reversed pickups.I couldnt find black ferrules that would fit so what I did was I just spray painted the one that came with it. It doesnt look that amazing but no one sees them anyways.

404027421.jpg

I wet sanded it with 800 then 1200 then i buffed it with stew mac's buffing compounds. i did medium by hand then fine with a foam pad on a drill then swirl remover with another pad.
    after sanding the neck and buffing the body with medium
    404027411.jpg

So as I picked up one of the pick ups to put back in the solder joint just broke so i tested the other solder joints and a few of them broke so i had to resolder it. also the new knob i got was too small so it had to be drilled out.

my 2 good basses 404027428.jpg

and more pics
    404027435.jpg
    404027433.jpg
    404027427.jpg
    more pics to come with the other parts.

16. zonda95

zonda95

Jun 3, 2012
    Tjhsst, VA
    New bridge + pickguard

404074266.jpg