1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My first SX.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by J. Crawford, Mar 22, 2009.

1. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Alright guys,

I plan on buying my first SX in the next few weeks. I dont plan on it being a beast, but that would be great and it has happened, according to you guys.

I need some help though. I want to make this a fun bass. Pink strings, I might get it refinished, I just plan on it being a total project bass. I want to learn how to solder, change pups, change hardware, and even relic and paint myself.

I was liking the Jaguar clone, and a few others. I want this bass to look different. Not your standard bass. Any suggestions would be great. The Pirate and Scorpion bass are outta the question.

2. the jaguar clones look pretty awesome. I'd get either one of those or one of the jazzes with the ashtrays (sunburst + ashtrays + maple neck w/ black blocks is da secks!)

3. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    See Wyrdo, I love the LTD models, but they have that look of a normal bass (sunburst, jazz, etc.). I want something totally different.

Plus, colored strings look better on a rosewood neck, although Im more of a maple guy.

EDIT: On the Jaguar clone, could the pickguard be removed without a huge space in between the pickups and the body? My jazz has this problem. I see some basses where the PG has been removed, and it looks like it were meant to be that way.

4. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Come on boys, I know you know a tad about SX basses!

5. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Remove the gaurd
    Get a hole saw (like maybe 1 1/2" diameter)
    Go to a shop and bore holes all the way through the body
    Instant poka-dots

6. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    I think the front pup route is bigger than the pup so no good with the guard off. I got the PB Jag copy and it's pretty sweet. But it's really a grad present from my inlaws, so I checked it out and set it up; now it's upstairs in the closet. I got it b/c it was cool and unique enough that I won't get GAS and sell it.

It's pretty light - I'd say around 8.5 lbs and sounds good. Definitely needs a new set of strings and may get some flats for it. There is a little bit of neckdive with a crappy nylon strap, but nothing like my Warwick 'Vette I used to have. Gonna try it with a comfort strap and will probably move the front button to the nect heel (like the Thunderbird mod).

There is a TTS Jag copy on the New Arrivals page. If they get an oly white in, I'll have to be strong to not get it.

7. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Are you saying it is a good bass? Or no? Im confused by your post.

Im really digging the teal. Spray paint and sand, repeat, the guard something special. Im pumped. I have been getting bored with my gear lately.

8. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    Had the jag-copy. Reluctantly sold it to fund my G&L Trib. SX was a nice sounding and playing bass, but neck dive was a total pain.

9. jmain

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Yeah it's a good bass. Just nothing is perfect. You asked about the front pup route and it's bigger than the pup. Figured I'd try to give you some details instead of just gushing.

10. If you really want something different, get one of these and let us know what it's like. Or one of the Gypsy Rose basses. :D

11. z6e9n

z6e9n

Feb 10, 2008
    Indiana
    I am adding a p pickup in between the j's on my SX. SX basses are fun to mod but allot of people(myself included and I own three)have needed to level and crown the frets to get them to really play well.

12. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    The Gypsies are tempting.. I wont lie! ;)

13. I've been tempted but I just can't make myself actually do it. :D

14. mndean

mndean

Mar 20, 2009
    California
    I decided on getting a short scale SX, and would like to get the Jag copy SJMB-62 3/4 but would neck dive be a problem on it? I've got a good wide leather strap that doesn't slip.

15. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Thread stealer! :D

I dont think it would be a problem. Im sure you could develop some solution if it did, though.

16. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    It will be a problem, unless you like having the right side of the back of your shirt somewhere around your left shoulder blade.

I used a three inch leather strap, a Gotoh 201 bridge and Hipshot Ultralights and still had an issue with mine. That being said, I really enjoyed playing it...fit and finish were fine and it sounded great.

Great bass for playing while sitting!

17. jmain

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Did you try moving the button from the horn to the neck heel? I'm gonna try that move.

18. Sindri907

Sindri907

Feb 24, 2009
    Virginia
    I have the Lake Placid Blue J copy and I am using the cheap nylon strap that came with it and I dont really have too much of a problem with neck dive. If im standing and playing for a while, it will slowly slide down maybe a few degrees over a few minutes, but nothing awful.