Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My GK rig ROCKS!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Deaj, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Deaj

Deaj

Aug 15, 2004
    Kingston, WA
    Late last year I purchased a GK 1001RB-II 210 combo and a 115RBH for an obscenely low price as GC was blowing them out. Tonight was my first opportunity to use this rig in a live context with a full band and it exceeded all of my expectations! I jammed with a friends band for a few hours this evening. Bass used was a Bongo 4 HH. The GK was clear, punchy, and warm and it sat very well in the mix. About mid way through the evening I disconnected the 1X15 cab and used just the 2x10 combo for the rest of the night. This little combo is a force to be reckoned with! The tone is a bit more full and round with the added 1x15 cab but the combo gets the job done with the same warmth and clarity and punch all by itself with headroom to spare. This rig ROCKS!

[​IMG]

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    My rig is the same as yours except my 2x10 combo is a 1001rb. I've used the combo alone on many gigs and the whole rig on the big and outdoor stuff. I must say I have never been lost in the mix, needed more power or had to ever tweek any knobs. In the future I want to replace my 1001RB 2x10 combo head with the new 1001RBII head and keep the older head for backup.

3. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    GK amps are great amps.

no surprise you both love your amps.

4. Deaj

Deaj

Aug 15, 2004
    Kingston, WA
    No tweaking here either - I just turned it on and started playing. Very cool!

5. 'JC'

'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    sent ya a PM :)

6. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR Accessories
    Boy do you speak truth. I just gigged my new 1001RB-II for the first time last night and it killed! Everything was as articulate as can be and I definitely had power to spare. I can't wait to get my 410RBH cab...

7. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    How much did you get them for (seperately)?

Maybe my local GC will be blowing out GK gear... :hyper:

8. Deaj

Deaj

Aug 15, 2004
    Kingston, WA
    I got the combo for $550 and the cab for $300. Crazy, huh? I had to do some calling around looking for stock items as I purchased these months after the blow-out sale.

9. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    *THUD* pyrohr passes out unconcious :help:

10. Before I got my GK endorsement I snagged a 410RBH for $480 at Guitar Center on clearence. Their loss= my gain. :D

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Not surprised at all that you love it! I've been using GK for almost 4 years and haven't looked back!

12. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    YAW GK's not a flabby amp, noooooo! GK will pump you up!

13. +! on GK. I absolutely love my 1001RB.

14. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Nice.

And I already had a trip planned for Guitar Center tonight.

Will let you all know if I come home with anything. :bassist:

15. 'JC'

'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    Gas got me again.
    And I have nothing to show for it...
    at least until it comes in :meh:

also am I correct in understanding the SBX series are being phased out for the SBX-II series?

If so, will the price remain the same?

16. stharv

stharv

Mar 12, 2005
    I just got a GK 700 RBII head- I have been using an Ampeg SVT III pro for the last year. I still like the Ampeg, but the GK just pumps- it also has a lot more power on tap and headroom- much clearer and cleaner sounding. The GK is rated 480 watts at 4 ohms and the Ampeg is 450 watts- the GK definitely has more power and volume than a mere 30 watts though.

I am running it through an SVT 410 HLF with an MM Stingray 5.

17. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I tried out an gk 400 RB III earlier today with a 410rbh and the volume was impressive, however i coudn't get into the tone. For $825 it was a killer rig.

18. The 400RB-IV is much warmer than the 400RB-III.

19. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Offering trade-ins? ;)

20. Rockgurl

Rockgurl

Dec 17, 2004
    CT, USA
    I am loving my new 700RB. Great tone, clarity, punch and power through my SWR Goliath Jr lll 2x10. I'd love to add a 1x15 in the near future but what I have does the job perfectly. Awesome!

I only have one complaint...I bought a gig bag for the head last week but when it arrived it didn't fit, and it's supposed to be specially for the 400/700RB series. I couldn't even do up the zip. I emailed them and got a less than stellar reply, telling me I could send it back but I'd have to pay 25% restocking fee. I think this stinks as the damn thing doesn't fit! Why should I pay because of an inferior product? I ended up buying an SKB flight case instead. Perfect fit. I expected better customer service from GK. It took them ages to respond to my email too, and the response was curt at best. Good thing I love the amp.