My "New" Fodera NYC

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rodneyat, Feb 9, 2009.

1. rodneyat

rodneyat

Apr 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I am putting "new" in quotes because this bass has already been on a journey. I bought this bass last year and when it was being shipped by the "gentle" hands of UPS the top was crushed and a large hole put in the top.

Here is a picture of the damaged top...try not to shriek!

foderanyc478.jpg

Obviously, this created some horror. :bawl: You can see not only the large hole in the top but the cracks in the wood. So, I know a friend of mine who does custom woodworking and instrument repair. I had seen a repair he made on a quilted maple acoustic that was pretty amazing. I contact him and sent pictures to see if he thinks he can fix it. He decides to take it on. So, here is a picture of the bass in progress.

DSCF0016.jpg

At this point, a piece of reinforcing wood has been attached to the backside of the top. Then epoxy filled in where the wood was just plain gone. It was amazing how much of the spalted maple became dust on impact. At this point, it looks pretty good...but wait, it gets better. Here is the bass after an artist has hand painted the wood grain on the top and lacquer has been reapplied to the top.

DSCF0032.jpg

And now completed and back at my house with all the hardware back on...

basses1684_1.jpg

It is simply amazing...Only if you knew it had been damaged, can you see it.

Needless to say, if you ever need any repair work done. Go to www.austincustomwoodworking.com and Steve will hook you up.

I am very pleased with the outcome and the bass is awesome!

2. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Bayside, New York
    Excellent work by the luthiers.....thats a beautiful instrument..all the best

3. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Wow, that is excellent work.

4. Wonderful repair job and a beautiful bass. That's one of the nicest looking NYC's I've seen. Enjoy.

Man, I bet you were BUMMED when you opened the case. All's well that ends well!:hyper:

5. The luthier and artist did an incredible job. I would have never known there was damage done to the bass. I'm glad you finally have it back in your hands.

6. rodneyat

rodneyat

Apr 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I keep playing the thing and it impresses me more each time. Bad press aside, the new NYC series basses are quite nice.

7. Z3r0_G

Z3r0_G

Jan 1, 2009
    I hope that was insured!! You shouldnt be paying a single cent to get it fixed!

8. The Butler

The Butler

Oct 11, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Amazing repair job. Also, one of the nicest Fodera NYC's I have seen.

9. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Holy Magic Repair Job, Batman!!!

what a brilliant idea to have an artist paint on the grain...incredible job...

10. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Wow!!

looks flawless!!

11. mrphattay

mrphattay Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2005
    Wow, what a great solution.
    A Masterful job... Stunning outcome.
    You obviously chose your craftsman wisely; the man is an artist. I couldn't imagine a better result.
    Kudos all around, and Thank you for sharing.

Enjoy playing that beauty.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021