Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My New Spector

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adam on bass, Oct 12, 2004.

1. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nov 03 Spector NS 2J. Ash body with Pao Ferro board, it sounds and plays like butter.

Just sharing.

2. Very nice man, although not really my thing. Can you give me a general description of what Spectors sound like, if possible?

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    GR ive been GASing for one of those, or any NS2, how much did it set you back?

4. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    I never played a SPECTOR but now I want to

5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Congrats! :)

I tried out an NS-2J at the same time I tried out the NS4CRFM. It was a really tough choice. I ended up going with the NS4CRFM because I preferred the P/J pickup configuration. But I really liked how the NS-2J played and sounded. The NS-2J I tried had the Aguilar OBP-1 EQ.

Does yours have the Aguilar OBP-1 or Spector Tone Pump EQ?

Great bass, congrats again. -Art

6. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    It sounds freakin awesome! Congrats welcome to the club. Great bass for recording and also cuts nice for gigging and still has plenty of booty.

7. heya arthur.

Before i grabbed my NS4CRFM. I tried two different versions.
    One with Aggie Pre, One with the TonePump.

I took home the one with the Aggie.

Congrats on the new bass firkin

8. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    I have a version of just about every Spector made. This is one I have been saving for for awhile. This one has the Tone Pump :spit:. I have stated in past posts that I am not fond of it, a little harsh and hot for me. As soon as EMG has the BQC back in stock I will be swapping it out. Other than that the bass is sweet.

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Hey, if you get rid of that pre, how much will you part with it for?

10. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    So what do Spectors sound like? People always say, "Oh, they're awesome." etc.

Yeah, I've heard that... but describe it.

11. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Hard to describe exactly what Spectors sound like, since there are many different models that each have different ranges of tones available.

Both of my Spectors are very growly and a bit on the bright side... if that helps any. Maybe one of these weekends I'll try to make some recordings of my ReBop.

12. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    You can get a multitude of tones. From smooth jazzy to metal from hell.

13. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    I sent you a PM.

14. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Did you add a second battery? I have a BQC in one of mine and the only thing that makes it any different is the mid sweep.

15. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    My NS4CRFM came with the EMG BTS 2-band EQ. I'm having some distortion problems as of late. The first thing I did was to try a few new Energizers, but it didn't solve the problem. I'll contact EMG about my new unwanted Fuzz-Tone, they'll probably have some ideas. I like the BTS, it's boost/cut.

Thanks for the opinions on the Tone Pump. I really liked how the OBP-1 sounded in the NS-2J I tried, very hi-fi and open sounding.

As for the 'Spector sound', (before it started having distortion problems) IMO the P/J setup in my Spector gives it a really punchy bottom end, great mids that cut through, and crisp highs.

16. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    It has one battery and it clips my head like mad, I have to turn down to 9 o'clock and it's fine. Too much gain for me.

17. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Oh yah, the tone pump is only boost. I like to have the cut as well.

18. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    WOW.. That looks awesome I been wanting a jazz bass maybe I'll check that one out... Per chance can you say how much it costed you?