1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My new SWR Golight. First Impressions.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by davidjbass, Apr 24, 2009.

1. I got my new SWR Golight 410 8 ohm model yesterday. I have to say that I am pretty impresssed with it so far. It has to be the best neo 410 cab that I have owned. It has a great bottom end as well as nice crispy highs. I ran it through my Hartke LH1000 which bridged mono into 8 ohm puts out 500 watts and the cab even at loud volumes handled it great. It handled my Spector NS 5 XL's B string like a champ. And it gave my 64 Fender Jazz bass relic a nice full funky sound. It has a great slap sound. And a nice rounded fingerstyle sound.

It weighs 56 lbs and is very easy to carry. The carpet on it is nice. It's not that old style black kind. It's kinda dark grey. It has both speakon and 1/4 inch jacks. It really seems well constructed. The only thing that bummed me out about it was that is was made in Mexico. I really wish companies would go back making things in America.

Now I am a long time SWR user and lover. Especially the Goliath II's. I wish they weren't so darn heavy. So when I heard and read about these cabs I was excited but dubious about them. I have owned 4 neo cabs so far and have not liked them for various reasons. But I have to say that this Golight has really impressed me so far. The last test will be to take it on a gig.

So if you have a chance to check on out do so. IMO it's worth it. I will try to post a couple of pics of it later.

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Cool! You are actually pumping 750 watts into your cab at 8ohms with that head, I believe. That should just kill.

I used a GIII for years, and really only got rid of it due to the weight. I'm pretty happy with my current crop of lightweight cabs, but I look forward to giving one of these a spin sometime.

Enjoy, that's a really nice rig.

3. A couple of pics.

4. One more.

5. Thanks KJung. You input to me over the past year on neo cabs has been great. I really appreciate it. You should definately add one of these to your stable.

6. xjeremiahx

xjeremiahx

Apr 19, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    No longer a slave to GC.
    very nice.
    i used to have the goliath jr 2x10 @ 8ohms and it was great.
    great cabs, great head and a sexy bass to boot!
    you've got it all my friend!:bassist:

enjoy!
    J

7. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I have a G lll 4 ohm version..its a great cab.
    I see that SWR is making product in Mexico....

8. cheapimitation

cheapimitation

Mar 23, 2007
    Mexico is part of America.

9. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    Thanks for the derail. Mexico has tasty tacos.

Anyway, I've been curious about these cabinets for a while now since SWR was so slow to the market with neo cabinets...anything else than "great" would be a disappointment. Thanks for the review.

10. Has anyone done a direct comparison to the previous ceramic line of PAS equipped GIIIs?

I've enjoyed mine enormously but simply cannot handle the weight anymore.

11. I have to say I have not done a direct comparison between the Goliath and the Golight. But I have owned Goliath II's and III's and the Golight definately has that SWR sound.
    Without the weight.

12. i really really realy want this cab! but i am a struggling student... working at maccas...

i saw one at my local music shop and i just stared at it for like 10 minutes and drooling

:(

13. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    +1

.....Really wanna try one of these cabs.....

M

14. Red Planet

Red Planet SUSPENDED

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Congrats David and welcome to da club.

I have the Golight 2x10 and 1x15 and my back loves them as well as ears.

To the Mexico thing I'm sure these are built in the Fender factory and they have been making stuff there for years so I doubt there are many issues.

I do love American Made and am Proud to be one.

Here are mine.

100_0656.

15. Very nice set up redplanet. I hear you on the back thing.

16. I gave my golight 410 it's first gig test last night. I was very happy with it. It was loud. It fill up the stage as well as the room. I was going through the house p.a. but the stage was big and the club was good size club. I used my Hartke LH 1000 bridged into 8 ohms. Which gave the cab 500 watts. I keep the tweeter set low. The tweeter on this thing is very powerful and crisp. It handle the low B great. I have to say I am very impressed by this cab. Any neo or SWR fans should check these cabs out.

MSIMSBASS likes this.
  17. Red Planet

Red Planet SUSPENDED

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Glad to hear it's working for you. So far I'm still liking the NEO Cabs.:bassist:

18. fenderphil

fenderphil

Sep 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    that is totally my dream pre and amp combo. very nice!

19. Red Planet

Red Planet SUSPENDED

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Thank you guys. This paticular Head is Powerful and Nice no doubt, as well as Light.

Been eyeballing that GB Shuttle 12 lately for Powerful and even Lighter.

The GAS never ends. :D:eek::hyper::bassist:

20. If you get the GB shuttle 12 let me know how you like it. I was giving that a look as well.
    24/7 gas!