Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new TBC just arrived!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by klocwerk, Feb 6, 2006.

1. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    New 5er from The Bass Company, and yes I have photos. :D
    Specs and thoughts are below the photos.
    without further ado...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

yay!

Specs:
    The Bass Company, Single M model, 5 string.
    Quarter-sawn 3-piece maple neck,
    Pau Ferro fretboard,
    Chambered ash body with "black cherry" pickguard/overlay.

Thoughts:
    This is the lightest bass I've picked up with the exception of a fully hollow-bodied custom I played at Rock City Guitars once. Despite it's lightness, it doesn't feel wussy; it's rock solid. They definitely know how to chamber an instrument over at TBC.
    The neck is smooth and naked feeling, just the way I like it. Doesn't feel much deeper than my fender Jazz neck, but it's a nice wide 5 string. The width is much easier than I'd expected, as I prefer a tighter spacing most of the time. This thing's just easy to play though.

"Fit and finish" is excellent. This was a B-stock, and you can find the bits of rubber left on the sides of the headstock where it was hanging in a shop at one point, but that rubbed off easily with my thumb. The strings aren't new, but still sound quite good and have some life left in them. Other than that it's a very nice bass for it's price point. Minor quibbles would be that the truss-rod adjustment route is a little rough, it could have used a quick sanding in there. Also the string tree for the A and D doesn't quite hold them straight:
    [​IMG]
    That's really my only issue with the bass though, and it's a minor one. A string tree is silly easy to replace.
    Intonation is right on, the frets feel good, it'll probably need a little action tweak though. I'll let it acclimatize before I go there though.

Sound:
    Freakin' superb. I brought my little Korg Pandora headphone amp and Koss Portapro's to work with me today so that I could get some sound out of this thing ASAP. The active electronics in it are wonderful. You can get a nice punchy bass tone (bass maxed and the treble rolled off), or a stingray slap tone (treble centered and the bass up a bit), or a good aproximation of a more anemic Jazz tone (both turned down to 1/4) out of the two band eq. I can only imagine that the three-band eq. on the full-fledged models is even better, but frankly this will do me quite nicely.
    Pots are quiet, no hum at all is detectable in the electronics.

Overall:
    Compare it to a MIM fender and there's really no comparison. (MM vs. J or P obviously not a straight comparison, but still. Blown away in value.) The B is waaaay better than the fender Jazz 5ers that I've played, but not quite as tight as the one Warwick 5er I've payed. These strings are an unknown quantity though, so that may change with a fresh set.

For the $300 I paid (b-stock) this bass absolutely blows away anything I've ever played with a pricetag of under $500, and compares nicely to stuff in the $700 range imho. Finish not quite as nice perhaps, but the sound is what's important to me.

Quite happy.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Congratulations, looks you got a great deal. Enjoy it!

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    $300?! To quote the rat in the sugar factory: "Sweet!" Great deal, indeed!

4. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Try turning the string tree 180º it might be backwards (at last guitar string trees can be backwards).

5. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    300 frigg'n bucks? Sir, you have robbed these people!

Congrats! Nice pics too!

r

6. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    hmm, interesting thought.
    I'll give it a shot. Don't think it'll work, but sure can't hurt.

7. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Nope, didn't make a difference. I suspect that it's the same one they use for their 4 strings, and they don't have a different one for the 5ers. :D

8. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Bah!
    Time to get a hipshot 3 string retainer :bassist: .

9. Sweet bass! The look of that "pickguard" is just sweet in contrast.

10. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Yeah, I hated it the first time I saw it, but it gradually grew on me.
    Then I bought one.
    :D

11. I hated that bass the first time I looked at this thread

but then I just kept coming back, and started liking it more and more, and now I love it

and then I went and checked TBC prices. I was expecting something at the very least $1000. But no, they were half that or less! Amazing. I really really want one of these.

Actually

I really really want yours

Great bass

12. sync00

sync00

Nov 23, 2005
    I wish I could get the 4 string version with that color pickguard.

13. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Good looking bass. It's nice to see someone doing something a little different.

Is the bridge hanging over the pickguard on the B string side?

I bet that pickup would sound great flatwounds. $300 for a B stock, eh? You're giving me ideas...:bassist:

14. sync00

sync00

Nov 23, 2005
    I think that price was prior to their recent 8% increase.

15. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    You can...
    *edit* they don't have any in stock right now on their ebay store, but I know I've seen them in the past, so they'll probably have them again.
    Darrell told me they're getting in a new shipment of instruments fairly soon.

16. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Yup.
    That was most of what pushed me to pull the trigger. It was probably the last b-stock they ever sold at their old prices.

Still, I'd be quite happy if I had spent $500 on this bass instead of $300, so I'll have no qualms about paying their new list price to replace it if something happens to this one.

17. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Thanks!
    You see what I meant when I said it grew on me... I did the same thing with them, just over the course of a few months instead of a few hours. :D

18. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Good eye, it is a bit. I hadn't noticed that until you mentioned it.

The bridge is actually routed into the body (string through) so it's chrome to natural ash right at that corner, no PG wood between them. It's not sticking out so much as replacing the PG wood.
    :bassist:

(and yeah, I'm tempted to try out flatwounds...)

19. Do you mind if I ask

how much that one specifically cost?

It seems like it has everything I want in a bass

20. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    nice!

i'm not a fan of the pickguard-ish thing, but i guess it's aight. it's pretty interesting, just not my thing. but, i do like TBCs in general (cosmetic wise, i haven't had the chance to play one yet) and the prices for them are awesome.