1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My New Zero Tolerance Craigslist Attitude.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FingerDub, Mar 11, 2019.

1. FingerDub

FingerDub SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2016
    Last week, a guy drove up from about an hour + away to check out my bass. I had it listed for $650.00 which I could have gotten all day. But I made a mistake and was thinking of another bass and told the guy six hundred instead of $650 and even though I made a mistake, that I would still honor $600 because I said it, even mistakenly.

On the drive up the guy texted me this:

Buyer: "Would you consider $550? Haha thinking about turning around this traffic is horrible."

Me: Turn around then. You responded at full price, and then because of my mistake which I honored, you would have gotten $50 off the price, which you agreed to and now you're trying to squeeze me for more?

Buyer: Forget I said anything, I'm almost there. I'll give you $600.

Me: No thanks. I don't want to sell it to you anymore.

Buyer: Mother******.

Me: Go **** yourself.

Feels DAMN GOOD.

If you're going to play the game, be prepared to also lose.

2. flojob

flojob Gold Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2011
    Hahaha sounds good to me! I've run I to that on CL, and even tb. Some folks don't want a deal, they want a steal.
    Sometimes I'm not the negotiating type when dealing with folks that use similar tactics.

3. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Anti-tort heathen Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Uh ok.

It’s not uncommon for buyers to try and get get things for cheaper. Telling him no was perfectly fine. But the telling him to turn around and go **** himself? Seems to me that you were the *** in this exchange, not him.

Sure hope that never happen to you when you go to buy something.

4. Tit for tat.

5. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    OP responded to profanity, he did not initiate it.

6. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    I understand. After he was told he would no longer be sold an item at the agreed upon price. I’d be pissed too. Show one person on TB that wouldn’t be.

7. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    No doubt. I would not have handled this situation in this way, just clarifying so the OP doesn’t get disparaging remarks for the wrong reason.

Aqualung60 and FingerDub like this.
  8. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Montreal, QC
    If this is how you handle CL sales, I'd make sure potential buyers don't have a home address.

9. Gunga Din

Gunga Din

Jun 22, 2018
    Had one of these a few years ago. I fell out with one of my Lowden acoustics and decided to flog it. It had a couple of visible dings and also a MOP inlay that wasn't made any longer on subsequent models. I had it on at a bargain price. After a fashion, one guy expressed a lot of interest. He then had doubts about it and went silent on me. He came back and asked me to drop it £100, which I did.......and went silent on me again.

I waited a few days and emailed him. Yes, he wanted to go ahead with the deal but would I take another £100 off? I realised I was being played and almost giving a £3K guitar away. I politely declined and that was it.

I still have that Lowden.

Mr_Moo, Ghook and ReggieRochester like this.
  10. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    I gotcha. I wasn't trying to imply OP started with the profanity and apologize if my post gave that impression.

Jokei likes this.
  11. jwad

jwad Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    I still would have sold it too him at $600, but it’s stuff like that that keeps me from selling on Craigslist. At least this guy told you up front. The worst are the ones who talk you up for an hour and a half and then try to low ball you. The last few times I sold on craigslist I put disclaimers in my adds that said if I take the time to meet you, and you try to haggle below the agreed upon price, I will kindly ask you to leave and sell to the next buyer in line.

12. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    You responded with immediate hostility to a common and predictable question and came up with some arbitrary discount like a fake Rolex hustler and tried using it in what you turned into a aggressive exchange with a stranger who knows where you live. I don't think Craigslist is the problem.

58kites, taught, Dan Gibbs and 82 others like this.
  13. I am Soma

I am Soma Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2013
    MN
    you sound fun.

14. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    OP is one of the many reasons I stay away from CL. As Sweet Brown would say, "Ain't got no time for that".

15. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I didn't even know you could trade those two...

16. I'd have to side with the buyer on this one. :rollno:

17. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    He inspired it by being kind of a jerk. All he had to do was say no.

18. Spupilup

Spupilup

Jan 11, 2019
    I'm just shy of 60 years old. I've always been a bit of a gypsy buying, selling or trading a wide variety of things ranging from ridiculously expensive audio gear to classic British auto parts to musical instruments. I see threads like this everywhere with people complaining about buyers on CL or sellers on eBay or everyone on Facebook. We have more ways than ever to connect with potential buyers or sellers and yet it seems now, more than ever, we have this angry zero sum interactions over what many would consider to be a part of normal negotiations.

How did so much of what we do as people devolve into this zero sum thinking? Is it really surprising that the art of negotiation, on just about all levels ranging from dating to politics, seems to be dying? I used to love making deals but now it seems like the level of intransigence is overwhelming, relegating the act of selling into a horrible chore. People need to lighten up and realize that the notion 'a deal isn't a deal unless I stole the thing,' is not really healthy, on many levels.

Dan Gibbs, 1bassleft, marmil and 37 others like this.
  19. redwood

redwood Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    Four letters to add to the end of your ad:
    F.I.R.M.
    I had one guy try to haggle on an already very low price. I told him, politely, to go back and read the ad very carefully. After which I hung up on him.
    Called me back in 5 minutes, apologized, and we had a successful transaction.