My philosophy on the bass hero

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Lowner, May 31, 2005.

1. Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    I dont have a favorite bass player or someone that i look up to. i dont want to sound like anyone else. i want to be unique and devlop my own style. though I read up on those who have gone before me so i can know about my instrument's history. I just want to be myself.
  2. genderblind

genderblind Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Have influences, but move on.
    Make a new statement!
    Don't just slap a new coat of paint on what has come before, BUILD ON IT !!!
    We need more of this thinking in music, and it's not arrogance, it's HEALTHY!!!
  3. more power to you! :bassist:

from the lows,

4. My goal in bass playing (and life in general) is to literally become Eben D'Amico from Saves the Day. I devote every waking hour to the pursuit of this goal. I just need to figure out what to day with the real Eben....

Okay, seriously, I'm all for your idea, but some people may like to listen to other players and learn some of their lines. If that makes them happy, so what? I certainly don't want to be a clone of another player, but if someone else does, they might as well just go ahead.
  5. No mattew how you play, you play like yourself. I could be going through a chris squire stage and write some basslines that sound like something he would write, but still sound myself, why? Because I'm me, thats why I can pick up any bass and figure out it still sounds like me playing, I can play through any amp, over any track, play any song and I make it unique because its me playing. We can try to be poeple whom we love but we never will be, I sound like me, no matter who I try to emulate.
  6. well, let me pass along one of my more surreal moments as a player...

many moons ago when I lived in Los Angeles, I gigged a bit and was a fixture in local music stores and in all the jams I could catch at BIT and in the neighborhood. one day I was at the Bass Centre and listened to the cat playing in the next room. he had my tone, my inflection, my attack, and he was playing all my licks!! completely flipped me out! turns out the guy had heard me play and dug my thing but it freaked me out so badly that I stopped playing licks and instead began to write them into pieces of tunes, figuring that I wold have to embellish on them and move beyond them to become a halfway decent player.

still hasn't happened, but I'm optimistic...!

from the lows,

7. Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    Wow, that an odd experience!
    Cool story though :)
  8. odd doesn't even come close! :eek:
  9. Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    I can only imagine :p
  10. Everybody, this is , you know, like a great topic and everything, but, oh how do I put this?...

I still wish I was Geddy... :bag:

11. Hekbass

May 21, 2005
    Zephyrhills, FL
    Let's see...
    I wish I was a potent, groovy mix of Jaco, Cachao, Charlie Haden, Scott LaFaro, Cliff Burton, early Claypool, and Jack Bruce. Easy, right?
  12. There's still hope Joshua. Capitalization, proper use of grammar and punctuation, writing complete and proper sentences- there's still hope. :)

Lowner, best of luck to you in developing your own style!
  13. *SIGH* I wish I was Boogie Man Montoya, head of the Bastard Groove Orchestra. That cat can swing.

14. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I settle for being myself, but only because there is already someone who is being Steve DiGiorgio.
  15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Not me... I'm going to try to play like whoever is popular with the kids these days.
  16. ROFL :D
  17. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    This is how I always felt; The inspiration I get from players that I love helps me be more me, for they is them and me is me, see
  18. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City

I don't see how you can't be anyone but you.

Anybody can try to cop licks and styles, and they might sound virtually identical, but it won't ever be exactly the same. I understand if you don't want to listen to too many others so you won't be influenced to the point where your imitating what they do, but you really don't have a choice but to play like yourself. Your sound will ultimately be as unique as you are.

19. Ryan Seacrest!