My situation.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Geezerman, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Move if needed...
    Alright maybe this can be some kind of megathread for all the stupid question you guys probably receive on a daily basis!

So heres my situation. I played bass for a year and a half or two years i had lessons, a band knew alot, everything was a great. Well my band dumped me, so i took a long and hard break from the instrument. A week ago i finally decided i should put the instrument to use. I learned a few of the riffs i've loved and re-;earned the songs i knew. Now heres the question, i just want re-learn the basics and then some.

I do not want to get lessons again. I spent months with one teacher who taught me very little, looking back it was just a huge waste of money, but i am open to trying to find la good teacher again.

Can you guys help me compile a list of basic thing si should be working on for starters( IE Sight reading). I think this would help me and any new player that visits these forums! :help:
  2. Jazzbo has a great thread on how to practice I suggest having a read it's up top called Practice,Practice

Try splitting your routine in sections

ie: Eartraining - Learning intervals , Learning new songs by ear ,transcribing etc.....

Theory - A teacher will help here but there are sites if you do a search but learning scales and chords is just as important as any of these

Techniques- Righthand ( slap ,tap,pick ,etc...)
    Lefthand ( pull offs hammer ons etc..)

Reading - Pitchreading
    Rhythm reading

Listening- listen to as much music as you can of all styles

Improvise- Simply switch on your CD or radio T.V whatever and simply jam ( or as others would say noodle :D )

Man if you set a time for each section say 15 mins everyday as long as your consistent I betcha within 6 months you will see a vast improvement
  3. Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Thats some good information! I apreciate the response.

Can i ask you what is Intervals? (I'll attempt to search for it to)

I found this great site for begginers today on the site!
  4. travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    an interval is simply two notes. they are refered to by number, A-B would be a 2nd, A-C a 3rd, A-D 4th, etc. but intervals are also qualified as diminished, minor, major, perferct, or augmented. only unisons, 4ths and 5ths can be perferct. a perferct 5th is a difference of 7 half steps and 5 note names, i.e. C up to a G. or C down to an F. these are the basic building blocks of our western harmony.

take a C major scale. the notes, accending, CDEFGABC, the intervals from tonic to each note are: (M=major, m=minor, P=perferct) M2,M3,P4,P5,M6,M7,P8. In a minor scale, C D Eb F G Ab Bb C, the intervals would be M2, m3, P4, P5, m6, m7, P8.

if you raise a perferct interval by a half step it becomes augmented, if you lower it, it becomes diminished. If you lower a major interval by a half step, it becomes minor, if you lower a minor, it becomes diminished, if you raise a major it becomes augmented.

Just remember that its the note name (letter name) that determines its interval name (2nd, 3rd, etc.) and then the number of half steps that determine its quality, (major, minor, etc.)

An enharmonic note is a note that is the same pitch but that has a different name. a Cb is the same as a B natural. a C to an F# is an augmented 4th. a C to a Gb is a diminished 5th even though those intervals sound the same they have a different name. C to D is a M2, C to Db is a m2, C to D# is an augmented 2nd. C to Eb sounds the same as C to D# but C to Eb is a m3. C to Ebb (double flat) is a diminished 3rd.

that's a quick sort of overview, its best to have a book and and instructor that can give you homework and review it. I'm sorry to hear that your 1st teacher didnt work out. Some musicians jsut teach 'cause they cant get gigs. Being a Student of music education at Northern Michigan University, i know that it takes a lot more to teach than to just know the subject. you have to know how to teach.
  5. A Interval is simply the distance between two notes
    as explained above
    If you need exercises on intervals view this site

This is the bassis :D for getting your ears in shape which will help you in learning songs of by ear
  6. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I would seek out a good Teacher that won't waste your time or money.

Avoid Music stores and check them our playing and get ref's.

With a teacher you can get questions answered quickly and will advance at a faster rate.

Good luck.
  7. Kevjmyers

Dec 10, 2004
    Boulder. CO
    I'm an advocate of sight-reading. Not only will the world of sheet music open up to you and increase your passion for'll be able to learn your neck faster and eventually never have to look at it when you play.