Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My six taking shape...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Bassic83, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Finally got some pics of my work in progress. Thought I'd post them for your ridicule and sporting pleasure... ;)

Attached Files:

2. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    More...it's mostly neck photos...

3. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Top wood shot, the rest are neck...

Attached Files:

4. It's just so ridiculous! Really, though- looks good.

5. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Headstock end...then body end.

Attached Files:

6. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    The "Highway shot" looking from the bridge end...my gf thought it looked like a highway...it kinda is. I'm going for a full-face top and back.

Attached Files:

7. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    I love progress pics!
    Do you have any template or diagram of the shape of the body?

Jon

8. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Not yet- I'm working off the plans from MIMF, I may keep the body they have, or I may modify it. We'll see what transpires.

9. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    Are those the plans done by Moll Guitars? I bought those plans myself. I'm curious to know how it all will come together!

Jon

10. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Yup, those be the plans, matey! Very detailed, though I plan on choosing my own pickup placement. I'm also using Q-Tuners, so none of the rout templates for the pickups are even close. I'll make my own templates. The plans call for both maple and walnut in the body core. I have a line on the maple, but am still trying to find my walnut. I'm thinking of doing a wenge accent line between the layers, bidding on some veneer online. We'll see...I'll keep everyone posted, it's moving rather slowly right now. I'm using my friend's wood shop and expertise, and am constrained by his family's needs and plans (they come first, of course) and by my ability to find my woods. I had originally planned on a myrtle burl top, but the guanacaste is so much higher-grade that I have to go with it. My buddy also lives about 65 miles from me, so it's not an easy task to just pop over for an hour or two. We have to plan around his schedule, so that we can spend a few hours at a time. Once it gets to a certain point, I'm going to bring it to my house for neck shaping by hand. I plan on using a Sure-Form and lotsa sandpaper!

11. Jarno

Jarno

Jan 27, 2005
    That looks really nice! Will you be using one or two trussrods?

Regards,

Jarno.

12. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    One, with two graphite bars running parallel to the edge of the fretboard. The trussrod is actually in the pics, if you look closely. The graphite channels have also been cut. The neck is really solid, I don't think the truss rod will be working too hard. Wenge fingerboard to be cut next weekend, and maybe the body too. We'll see, I'll post pics as I go.

13. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Getting ready to go cut body templates, stand by...

14. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    I wish I had the time, money and wood to build my sixer. Heck, I wish I had the time to repair this neck I've been having problems with for three months.

15. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I think this is going to be my body shape...possibly minus the omega, depending on how my bridge lays out.

Attached Files:

16. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Looks cool. Can't wait to see it finished!

17. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Update- I finally found a spokeshave, and had at the neck with it. Much faster than the rasp. I still need to level a couple of high spots on the back of the neck from where the bandsaw wandered, but I think a good belt sanding might be in order there. The quarter-sheet sander I have is not the tool for the job- too small to "catch the wave", so to speak. Bought a little bandsaw today to help myself out with cutting out body templates. The scrollsaw is OK, but I want to rough it out quick. Need a stand for it, but I can find one somewhere. Nice to have some of the major shaping out of the way, gives me a sense that this might be possible after all! :D

18. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Got my body templates cut out today, finish sanded on the edges, and put them up against my neck blank to see what it looks like...

Attached Files:

19. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    Now that you laid it out with the templates, have you decided on the omega cut out or not?
    Looks like you have room for it!

BTW, GREAT looking design!

Jon

20. I made a tool for this type of action and I use it all the time now - a sanding bow. I cut a 1-1/4" x 22" x 1/4" thick piece of ash and bent it in a gradual bow and stapled a strip of 80 grit cloth to it. Used like a saw it really removes the wood. But it can be used in lots of different directions. Also, my bow has a compound curve (by accident) so that it has a flat curved end and a more pronounced curve at the other end. Those can be used in different ways by gripping the bow closer to the end. Rounding over is easy as well as maintaining rounded contours. You'll just have to make one to see all of the ways it can help. It's also cheap!