1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Sticky Situation

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basslover24, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Long story short, there was duct tape on my bass and I peeled it off. Now I've got that pain in the ass residue on it. Any advice on the simplest and most effective way to get it off?

btw its got that laquer finish or whatever it is. not straight up wood

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Goo-Gone.

3. gibsonbass76

gibsonbass76

Aug 17, 2007
    3M adhesive remover, and the lesson to never put duct tape on instruments again.

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    You might find that MORE duct tape can be used to remove the residue. Make a small wad of tape with the adhesive side out. Using a dabbing motion, you might be able to use it to pick up the "goo" off the bass. This works for some tapes and some surfaces, YMMV, etc.

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Paint thinner (not paint remover) like Varsol will work to soften the glue so it can be wiped off. Naptha (lighter fluid) also works but evaporates a bit too fast at times.

I've used Goo Gone and it works too but no better than paint thinner which is a lot cheaper.

None of the above will harm a lacquer, polyurethane, varnish, or oil finish.

Don't use acetone, lacquer thinner or any of these types of solvents. They can soften and remove many finishes.

6. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    +1. I recently had sticker residue on my newly-acquired Peavey T-40. A little WD-40 on a rag, and the residue came right off without harming the finish.

7. WD-40 or my favorite, the 3M Adhesive Remover. I've found tons of uses for the latter so a small can of it lasts a while.

8. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    40 grit sandpaper.:ninja:

9. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Belt sander.

10. PEANUT BUTTER!! :D:hyper:

No seriously, it works great. Put a lump of PB on the sticky spot and rub in circles with a rag like you are buffing it. You may need to put some muscle into it, but the oil in the peanut butter cuts through most stickiness very well. Of course, you'll need to take the greasy oil off afterwards, so have some dish soap handy. This recently worked great for me when I had to remove old double-sided tape residue!

11. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Awesome stuff! (nice sig btw)

12. Frost.Blast

Frost.Blast

Mar 22, 2008
    Lighter-fluid does an amazing job and it doesn't smell for more than 10 seconds.

13. I've occasionally had some success with plain old kitchen variety cooking oil when I couldn't locate a can of WD-40...

14. TeleTubby

TeleTubby

Jan 6, 2006
    Lynden, WA
    I've had great success with cooking oil- we always have some around, (with a bit of elbow work) it cuts through easy, and cleans up real nice.

15. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    Yep lighter fluid or Naptha no doubt.
    Dirk

16. Picolo2k

Picolo2k

Sep 30, 2008
    Hey! I have the same prob but I have a polymerized oil finish( witch does not protect the wood as well as a lacquer finish) on the body, I have some lemon oil for the neck of my bass but will it be ok to use it even if it's not the same kind of oil? in fact, lemon oil is not very oily, will it remove the glue? or should I try with normal olive oil to be fancy? hehe
    thanks!