1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Stingray just doesn't sound very Stingray-ish. . .

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RobinEnthusiast, Nov 2, 2013.

1. I just got a Stingray SLO special, and it just doesn't sound like I thought it would. . . My L2000 in the rear position sounds much more punchy and Ray-like. Don't get me wrong, there is absolutely nothing wrong electronically with the Stingray, and it feels great. The three band eq can get some great tones, but if I was blindfolded, I probably wouldn't guess it was a Musicman Stingray. . .

2. solderjunkie

solderjunkie

Jan 27, 2008
    Nashville TN
    Three band is different, and so are the modern alnico-mag pickups. It's not bad, just different.

3. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Jul 3, 2004
    New York and Philadelphia
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
    The L2000 is NOT in any way shape or form, a direct comparison to the Ray sound...The L2K is MUCH more aggressive.

Not that the Ray is 'melow'....it ain't.

4. j.kernodle

j.kernodle Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    how's your eq set? I bump my bass and mids just a touch and drop the treble just a hair. I get a good classic ray sound with my sr5. don't be scoopy. the mids are where the classic ray sound lives.

5. j.kernodle

j.kernodle Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    check your setup too. I find that a little controlled fret buzz helps get you that stingray bite.

6. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    +1 I've found that my basses with a little buzz play better and sound great in a band environment. As for getting the SR sound, your hearing is better than mine, because I haven't heard an SR yet that doesn't sound like an SR. Do you have other SRs, or is this your first? I ask because as much as I wanted a Ric over the years I'd never been able to get them to feel right or sound good. My 4th Ric is a keeper, but the first 3 I couldn't sell fast enough.

7. zortation

zortation

Dec 26, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Get a rick.

8. I lowered the strings a bit, and raised the pickup, both of which helped. I was also doing my initial testing on my son's small swr amp, which is weak sounding anyway. Through my Trace rig, with the adjustments, the bass sounds as it should.

With all of this said, the Sterling S.U.B. That we bought a couple of months ago amazes me more and more--amazingly comparable to the 'real' thing.

9. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I thought that the SUB played and sounded like the 77 Ray I had back n the day. I actually like it better than the Ray 34 not because of it 's price, it's was because of the tone of the instrument i.e. the 2bnd eq.