1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My SX (Essex) Geddy "Pee"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by By-Tor1000RR, Apr 20, 2009.

1. By-Tor1000RR

By-Tor1000RR

Jul 17, 2008
    Stamford, CT
    A few weeks ago I bought a black SX SPB-57 with the intentions of building a P-bass with the Geddy jazz stylings to go along with the Geddy jazz in my stable. I bought a used, but mint, Badass II bridge off of a fellow TB'er and found a black blocked and bound SX jazz neck on eBay that already had Geddy tuning machines on it for the same cost as the tuners alone. This was all I needed to build my SX Geddy "Pee". I went with the SX because it has an alder body just like the real Geddy and the whole SX bass cost less than a bare body. All said and done, the whole project cost about $230 with shipping included. What's also pretty cool is the fact that it's all SX, except for the Tuners and the bridge. It's strung with the same strings as it's 6 other stable mates, D'Addario EXL 170's (.045-.100). The neck is a bit thicker front to back than the real Geddy and a touch thicker than the neck on my Squier VM jazz but still feels like a proper jazz neck. All in all I couldn't be happier with my little project.

Hope you all like it.

What I started with..........

ry%3D400.

Finished Geddy "Pee"......

ry%3D400.

Along with the real deal.........

ry%3D400.

2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Cool! I really like the P and J bass combo. Tonally you are completely covered!

Ibanezcollector is almost done building my PJ Geddy "P". I thought the PJ config would give me some cool tonal possibilities.

Here is a quick shot (we are waiting for the nut and the headstock logo... but it is almost done...)
    PJbuild.

3. By-Tor1000RR

By-Tor1000RR

Jul 17, 2008
    Stamford, CT
    Looks great Baird! What neck did you choose? I was going to use a Squier VM neck but the price was right for the SX neck considering it already had Geddy tuners. Cheap project was the name of the game. lol

4. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Nice!

5. Big difference between "pee" and "P".
    I honestly expected a yellow pickguard or something :ninja:

6. Scallop the upper frets,throw in a "woofer p-up,and you'd have an Billy Sheehan Attitude Bass.Looks nice.Smart investment,IMO.

7. By-Tor1000RR

By-Tor1000RR

Jul 17, 2008
    Stamford, CT
    HAhahahahahahaha!!!!!!

I'm gonna bring the "Pee" to my next rehearsal and see if the guys notice it's a different bass.

8. I thought it was going to be one of those pee-green SX's. :D

9. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Sweet!

Now I know how it would have looked if I had done that! I bought the Squier VM Jazz instead.....

And I bet no one in the band notices, and if they do it will be because of the sound difference...