1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My thoughts on an Antonio Tsai...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ~Ethan~, Oct 6, 2010.

1. ~Ethan~

~Ethan~

Dec 3, 2008
    Abilene, TX
    I've been doing some searching/research here on Antonio Tsai's basses and from what I gather is that they are decent. Sure they may need some work but in the end I think it's worth it. Another thing I noticed is that besides most the gripe with them is on the hollow bodies, they are all made around 2005-2006. I've noticed some people saying they have improved in quality somewhat so I'm sure that by now they are better.

This is the one I'm buying,
    http://cgi.ebay.com/GREAT-SOLID-BUB...0-/350398246844?pt=Guitar&hash=item51955cefbc

Since it has no inlays at all I won't have problems there, and I'm having them make it fretless so that should, (theoretically) eleminate the fret work issue.

What are your thoughts?

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I bought a couple a few years back just for giggles, including one of the seven strings. I was surprised that they weren't bad at all. The neck on the seven was fairly thick though, and had some neck dive IIRC.

3. Lincoln

Lincoln Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2006
    Akron
    they aren't bad for the buck, and obviously can be upgraded to your liking...I'd chuck the bridge, preamp and pickups...and voila...

you've officially got a better than average instrument for well under 1k...

4. Aarix

Aarix

May 19, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Where do you find a bridge or pickups for a seven string bass? (not to be sarcastic, I'm genuinely interested)

5. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    The bass in question uses monorail (aka indie) bridges, so you'd just have to buy 7 of those. As for pickups, I don't know where you would buy an off-the-shelf-set, but you can get custom ones made.

6. I've played the 7.. looked nice.. still not a GT7 for the money

7. Agreed. Also, you may or may not need to spring for some fretwork. I bought a 6 stringer for $300 and it was well worth the cash. I unloaded it for more than I paid since I never took to 6 strings.

8. Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    Akron
    you got me there...I was think more conventional 4-6 strings with Hipshot bridges, but certainly the monorails could work....
    not sure on the pickups...what do Conklins use?

9. conklins are barts with a custom or mitymite preamp

10. Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    Akron
    I figured they were Barts....

11. ~Ethan~

~Ethan~

Dec 3, 2008
    Abilene, TX
    So far so good it seems.
    I asked them if they could line the fingerboard with either purpleheart or bloodwood but they said they don't know what that is. :eyebrow: So I said maybe maple. I thought about maybe catering to their inlay loving and doing abalone but I'd like to stay away from that seemingly touchy area. Also if I need to get it planed that may make it somewhat more difficult. I don't know, I'm not a luthier. :smug:
    Another thing I don't know is, would I be able to fix the neck dive problem if I were to reposition the rear strap pin?

12. ~Ethan~

~Ethan~

Dec 3, 2008
    Abilene, TX
    Ok so I guess the bass sold because it's not there anymore. I sent him a message asking what happened.
    But I'm figuring that I need to start looking elsewhere for a bass now. Again.
    I'm realizing that finding a 6 string (which is what I actually really want) that suits my taste for under 1K is unrealistic. With the exception of Antonio Tsai.
    I know there are a ton of great budget 6ers out there but they are all so generic looking. I'm into the wierd CT, ritter, CB, ect. esque basses. And Antonio Tsai was the only one who had that in my price range.

Any suggestions? I just can't make myself conform to the "norm". Even if I were to save up something like $1500, what would be close to what I'm looking for?

[EDIT]: What about David Pushic?

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021