1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NABD: Butterscotch Slab

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dark Horse, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Sometimes parts are just meant to go together. It's their destiny. This is one of those times. I picked up the loaded neck here in the classifieds about a month ago, looked like a nice neck and it was a good deal so I figured why not? I didn't have anything to put it on in particular, though I have several p and j bodies running around here. But nothing seemed to feel right for the neck. Wasn't sure why, because I really like the neck.

Then about a week ago, a loaded body came up in the classifieds. It was a (warmoth) slab P body, which is my favorite, had split coil PBass pickups (EMG GZR's), A threaded Saddle bridge (also my fav), The bridge ashtray, and two pickguards... A black one and the white one ... and was also a deal I couldn't pass up. Anyway, I am at home recovering from surgery I had on Monday, not doing much of anything except lying down, and the UPS man delivered the body. Of course the first thing I had to do was try the neck in the pocket, and from there the deal was sealed. I bolted up the body, literally had to do zero tweaking to the neck, was perfect action right away, the only thing that I had to do at all was bringing in the E string saddle about 1/16 of an inch for intonation. Everything else was spot on ! As some of you know I've built and assembled a ton of basses, easily in the hundreds. It's extremely rare when you bolt them up and have to do literally no real tweaking to get everything to be in perfect harmony.

This bass sounds fantastic, looks great, and weighs under 9 pounds even with the ashtray!

It's a winner !

Snapseed.

sneha1965, digmeout, LT131 and 46 others like this.
  2. I really like that a lot :thumbsup::cool:drool

Dark Horse likes this.
  3. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Very nice! I'm more a fan of the traditional single coil pup for these, but that is a classy looking bass!

4. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Personally (which means nothing here) I don't like bridge/p'up covers. However, that's a very nice looking bass.
    Well done you.

5. Chico Ruger

Chico Ruger Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2014
    Florida
    Really nice!

Dark Horse likes this.
  6. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I didn't realize it, but it looks a lot like the 60th anniversary P Basses that they came out with a couple years ago. A friend of mine pointed that out, and other than the fact that the fender version had to contoured body, it's pretty close.

Here is a picture of the 60th anniversary ones....

Attached Files:

7. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Very cool

Dark Horse likes this.
  8. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Well done, DH!

Dark Horse likes this.
  9. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

I had the feeling it'd get your seal of approval ! :D

I'm honestly surprised how easily This bass went together and how great it is! It was a piece a cake.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    2saddleslab likes this.
  10. I had a chance to buy one of those anniversary models about 4 years ago but there was a huge ding in the body that just looked...bad.

Dark Horse likes this.
  11. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

Yeah, I can understand passing on that. I'm never one to shy away from normal wear, but sometimes you get that one big huge ding or mark that just looks like they took the back of a hammer to it, just makes you want to run from the bass.

el_Bajo_Verde likes this.
  12. Yeah,it was down to the bare wood with a big chunk of paint missing. The rest of it was nice, being a fairly new model so the dent really stood out.

13. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Ouch !

14. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi DH, you cured yourself well :D :thumbsup:

happy NBD!!!:bassist::bassist::bassist:

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

Dark Horse likes this.
  15. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    Wow congrats on the perfect match, may you both be happy...lol
    :thumbsup:
    And a quick recovery too.

Dark Horse likes this.
  16. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    Nice! It took a few years for that body style to grow on me... now I have one :cool: ... the 'right parts at the right time'!! Squier Mike Dirnt (refinished) body with a Mike Dirnt Roadworn neck... Hipshot Lollypops, etc...
    IMG_0196.JPG

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    2saddleslab, TC424, mikeyjm2 and 3 others like this.
  17. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Sweet.:woot:

Dark Horse likes this.
  18. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Nice bass!

I couldn't agree more on parts meant to be together. I recently put together a Frankenstein bass consisting of a Sonic Blue P body, DiMarzio PAF era pickup, and the neck off of an 80s MIJ P copy I had laying around, and a tort guard I bought here as well. It was good but not great. The neck had a hump in it and it just didn't speak to me.

Then I found a Mighty Mite neck here. I bought some Hipshot Ultralite tuners for it. I took it to a luthier friend to swap the necks and do a good setup. BAM! I haven't weighed it but it's under 8 pounds for sure. It resonates like crazy.....very loud unplugged. Great tone....sounds like a P bass but slightly more aggressive with a bit of growl.

Just as you described, those parts were destined to be together. Here it is before the neck swap. Congrats on yours coming together! 20161211_115823.

Dark Horse and 10cc like this.
  19. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    If I could get one like this with a jazz neck...I might pass out from happiness.

Catbuster and Dark Horse like this.
  20. Very very nice.

Dark Horse likes this.