NAD 1970 Fender 400 ps!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Erik herman, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Erik herman

Erik herman Gold Supporting Member

Never knew one of these existed before I had the opportunity to trade for one. Just go it home and got to run through it for a little while and I have to say I’m pretty impressed with it. Suited for both guitar or bass. Reverb sounds amazing on this thing. 3 4 ohm outputs rated for 145watts each add it all together and that’s one seriously stupid loud tube amp. Recently gone through and retubed, recapped everything was gone over and if not cleaned up it was replaced and is still under service warranty from the tech. My only gripe is it’s a little wider than my fender rumble 15s. One thing that’s funny is it weighs more than both of them combined! 62F3E1EF-04CB-46CE-BF9A-2E094F70F385.jpeg 298B9D1D-7C3A-4163-8673-D83888541FED.jpeg
    44937716-F779-40D3-92A5-2F26EE35602A.jpeg

2. Bflat

Bflat

Feb 5, 2008
    you should get the bottoms!!!!
    it is an SVT slayer
    congrats :hyper::hyper:
    DSCN0745.JPG

3. Erik herman

Thank you! And yeah those cabs a funky looking. I think I’d rather have 3 301s over those though. At that point I’m 2 away!

4. No get three 8x 10 SVT bottoms, talk about PUNCH, I used to run two cabs with an SVT head for about 150 watts each cab and it could just about knock a wall over, add another and boom!

5. Ever take all three of those bad boys out on a gig?

6. Erik herman

0D183181-13AC-4470-B9D6-FDC726392070.jpeg I also have this, this is actually what I originally wanted to trade for it. But the dude decided he didn’t want it over the tolex having a few tears. So we settled on a bass and a guitar for the head. Turns out he had a pedal made for the reverb and tremolo to activate off of and he has a whole set of tubes he forgot about until he got home from the swap. He’s gonna get them over to me when we are both freed up again.
    Would it make the mismatched cab gods cry if I ran the 8x10, the 301 and the 2 15s out of each output?
    Honestly, I’m gonna probably never run all three outputs, maybe 2 if I take it to a gig.

7. I guess you'd just have to mix them until you found something that sounded good, with mixed cabs I'd want individual vol and tones though, if you have matching cabs you wouldn't need them.

8. DTRN and DeliriumTremens like this.
  9. Erik herman

With those 15s it sounds really good. I’m gonna try it with the 301 and the 8x10 if it doesn’t sell before I get the chance. I exclusively use matching cabinets, though I have never had something that has the option of sending 145 watts to three 4 ohm sources. And to get that up there I had to grab it from the bottom, I’m only 5 foot six so was actually a little bit of a challenge to muscle it on top, with the cabs being so light they were trying to run away from it if I put too much weight on the side while I moved it on top!

10. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    You can get a chrome luggage stand similar to what Fender offered.

285C1055-1F75-4F6B-AB70-11A7A62A6958.jpeg

Ed Byrnes, biguglyman and deathness like this.
  11. Bflat

Bflat

Feb 5, 2008
    Yea using 3 301s is probably a good idea......I have 3 301s but I have never tried that, they are a lot easier to find also......there seems to be plenty ps 400s around but not so many original cabs..When my ps 400 is cranked through 3 cabs it sounds just like the loudest fender bassman you've ever heard......:bassist::bassist:

rodl2005 and bobyoung53 like this.
  12. Bflat

Bflat

Feb 5, 2008
    I never have... I really don't trust it, so I use my SVT or an Acoustic 370......the ps400 was made for 6550A's which don't exist anymore and the new 6550's don't seem to be as reliable under those conditions......but I certainly lite up my basement with it......the whole house shakes!!!!!

bobyoung53 likes this.
  13. Those are some glorious rigs, fellas....

14. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    probably, but you wouldn't hear it over the rejoicing of the "holy crap look at all that!" gods
    if you're maniac enough to gig with a 400ps, maybe the ticket is three smaller boxes stacked, although sourcing small 4Ω boxes might be a task.

how about a 6x10 cab rewired as three pairs of speakers with separate ins? with 8Ω drivers that would be three 4Ω "sets".

rodl2005 and Erik herman like this.
  15. Shipping weight 210 pounds for the combo!. Makes my back hurt just thinking about it.

16. juggernaut7

juggernaut7

Nov 11, 2009
    If you ever want to get in the demolition business .....you are ready....and then some

17. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    Damn.
    I remember those ads. Never saw anyone use it on a stage though. Wow.

Spupilup and beans-on-toast like this.
  18. Erik herman

I was actually thinking about doing that already, have LDS or someone build it! That’ll have to wait until the spring or so though

19. Christopher A

Christopher A

Sep 27, 2018
    YESS!!! Has anyone found a 6x10 w/3 inputs!?!?!? That is exactly why I have joined this site!! Have considered contacting Ampeg & asking if they will custom build that exact cab... has it been done? & if so, who, where & how much?!?

20. Christopher A

Christopher A

Sep 27, 2018
    Short of building it myself

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021