Nate Mendel P w/ knot in FB - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MicG, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Yes

52 vote(s)
    61.2%
  2. No

21 vote(s)
    24.7%
  3. OCD Carrots

12 vote(s)
    14.1%
  1. Hey guys,

This is probably OCD and dumb but I've gotta ask your opinion:

Would you accept a bass (particularily a Nate Mendel Sig) that was 9.7lbs and had a knot like this in the fingerboard? Purely aesthetic? Deal-breaker? It's listed at full price $925. 20170818_164058.jpg 20170818_164131.jpg I get it that "wood is wood" and the area around it doesn't feel raised - just never seen it.

These Nate Mendel basses do seem like they're getting harder to find..

Thoughts?

2. The board looks very dry but it might just be the photo. I don`t recall seeing a knot in a fingerboard before. It is also quite heavy, my NM only weighs 8.5lb. I would look elsewhere.

MCF, metallicafan18 and Tbone76 like this.
  3. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Inactive

May 26, 2010
    If that bass plays and sounds great and that knot is a deal breaker for you, you may need to seek professional help.

mngnt, mdogs, superdick2112 and 10 others like this.
  4. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Inactive

May 26, 2010
    Isn't Nate Mendel's original bass that this artist model is based on from the 70's, and if that's the case I'd say that it's pretty much more in line with what the basses from that era weighed, and yours may be an anomaly.

5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I voted yes - it looks cool and it's structurally insignificant. A knot like that in the actual neck, on the other hand, then I'd pass.

Morrighan likes this.
  6. couldn't care less...

jfh2112, Joedog and jcampbell like this.
  7. I can confirm the back of the neck looks alright.

Attached Files:

8. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    I would get it. The NM P is fantastic, and if the knot isn’t going to affect fretting then it’s not an issue.

My NM P is 10 lbs. I’ve heard some weigh less than 9 lbs, others closer to mine. If the weight isn’t an issue, either, then go for it.

9. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    The neck looks fine to me, but my Mendel P is 8lbs 3oz.

Son of Wobble likes this.
  10. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I'd pass... but knot... er, NOT because of the knot. I'm with eccles77 -- 9.7 pounds is too hefty for my tastes, especially for a P-Bass.

Plus, I'm not into signature models.

11. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    I don't see a knot.:woot:

pbass2 likes this.
  12. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Central FL
    I just learned I'm in the minority. I like unique markings like that. Love the character.

13. Grooveline

Grooveline

Jan 24, 2012
    I say if you like it get it. The Nate P I have comes in at 9.3 oz which seems like a normal weight for this bass. Adding light weight tuners would bring it under 9lbs but it honestly doesn't feel much heavier than the 8.7lb RW precision I have. As far as the knot goes its not a deal breaker for me.

14. MD Stingray

MD Stingray Guest

Jan 17, 2008
    Go for it.

Benny4P likes this.
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Wouldn't accept but not for the knot in the wood...life is too short to play a 10 lb bass. Especially at my age!

bmac314, Morrighan, Flabass and 3 others like this.
  16. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    You are knot alone. I'd buy it specifically because of the knot. But that fretboard does need some oiling.

17. ThePresident777

ThePresident777

Oct 6, 2013
    It's just another P-bass. No reason to pay extra for the name, or the knot.

The Terror and el_Bajo_Verde like this.
  18. I've noticed the fingerboard looks this way in every photo I find of a Nate Mendel P. It must be part of the slight relic process they did...I'm aching to oil that fingerboard!

19. This- I had one and it was about 8.5 lbs as well. WOuld not one at 9 lbs or over.

20. J.D. Detroit

J.D. Detroit

Nov 12, 2015
    Detroit
    I'm curious - why pay retail price on a used one?
    A quick look shows Guitar Center/Musicians Friend have them in stock.
    Order new from GC and use a coupon and get it even cheaper.. + If your not happy with it, you have a return option.

offhand35 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021