NBD… Interesting bass..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shnapper, Sep 19, 2021.

1. shnapper

shnapper

May 1, 2005
    5140FA24-C9FA-4357-A0C3-B543316165EF.jpeg This Peavey T-40 popped up locally so I inquired, looked at it and bought it. Good to very good condition for it’s age, all original, original owner as well. Everything works, no cracks, nothing missing. Truss rod was never adjusted during its life, it dialed in fine. Action still a tad high but not bad at all. It sounds fantastic, not sure why, I know zero about the pups but it makes some great sound from both the bridge and neck.

I had to make a custom socket(thinned the crap out of it)on my bench grinder to turn the truss rod nut. Im not gonna mess with the micro tilt, I’ve read it can be an issue or cause issues. For a whopping $75 bucks I think it’s a great sounding beast. :thumbsup:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  2. Haans

Haans Altruistic nihilist Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    $75? Not $750? That's the score of the century. I'm at a loss for words. Congratulations on a ridiculous deal!

3. shnapper

shnapper

May 1, 2005
    No, not $750…. $750? Errr did I miss something?

dkelley likes this.
  4. Haans

Oct 31, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    I'll buy it for $500. :D

I thought everyone knew about the older Peavey basses by now, at least around here. You rarely see them for less than $800 these days. Did you get the original case as well?

Riff Ranger, tindrum, dkelley and 3 others like this.
  5. Haans

Oct 31, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    This is a 1979, by the way. Looks incredible.

leftybass54, Matt R, cdef and 2 others like this.
  6. shnapper

shnapper

May 1, 2005
    No case, he had some other case and wanted $175. I asked if I could buy the bass only and he offered it to me for $75 bucks

7. Haans

Oct 31, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    Wow. Just wow.

8. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I assume he has either no internet or some sort of brain damage.

Ikkir, gscroggin, Microbass and 30 others like this.
  9. shnapper

shnapper

May 1, 2005

Aww that’s not very nice lol!

I think he most likely is very wealthy and didn’t care. I myself just wanted an inexpensive project, but since it works there’s not much project :roflmao::smug::bassist:

10. shnapper

shnapper

May 1, 2005
    Any suggestions on what to wipe the body down with? It appears raw and unfinished so should I just wipe it with a dry micro fiber towel or?

Chain_Lightning likes this.
  11. Haans

Oct 31, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    It should be (and looks) coated. A moist microfiber cloth should be fine. This is not a project bass, it's a collector's item. Not a wall-hanger, but a highly collectible player.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    Ikkir, LBS-bass, leftybass54 and 18 others like this.
  12. A9X

A9X Suspended

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    It's clearcoated, just not very thick. Damp cloth should be fine.

For $75 you got the bargain of the year. Looks in nice condition, probably a closet queen. One of mine is one of those, and the other was played every day since it was bought until the original owner passed away (so his widow told me) and has some very minor wear. These things are as tough as hell. A proper dystopian movie would have the lead walking off into the desert with a machete and a T40, for no other bass will have survived.

Also, join the T40 club here. The tone and pickup splitting arrangement is very unusual and there are charts about that show at what settings you can get a close enough simulation of a large number of other basses.

13. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Speechless. Didn't think such deals still existed. I paid $350 for mine 20 years back and thought I got lucky, but not compared to this.

leftybass54, B-Mac, cdef and 4 others like this.
  14. Katoosie

Katoosie Chocolate is the best Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Sweden
    75 dollars?!
    I don't believe it!

B-Mac, djaxup, Kenova and 7 others like this.
  15. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    75.00!?! For a close to minty T40. You did real good. Real good. They commonly go for considerably more than that. Easily worth 10x what you paid for it.

Swing by the US Peavey forum. They can fill you in on any questions you have. Great score!

16. FLStudiobassist

FLStudiobassist

Mar 20, 2021
    That is one pretty Peavey you've got there. Excellent job!

shnapper likes this.
  17. donkeygrl

donkeygrl

Aug 28, 2013
    Indiana
    Big congrats!!!! Such a cool bass and what a price!!

18. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Not only is it an extremely versatile bass, it's among the few you want to be carrying in care of a Zombie Apocalypse outbreak! :eek::woot::smug:

19. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    A VERY BAD PLACE!
    Just for "tree fiddy"?
    Congrats!

M0ses and Killing Floor like this.
  20. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    Definitely do your research if you aren't familiar with the T40. I believe Peavey had a unique tone control that also functions as a toggle between humbucker and single coil mode.

There are whole internet organizations devoted to this bass. Lots to learn.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 28, 2021