NBD!! 2001 EBMM Sterling 4H Blue Pearl

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by selowitch, Feb 22, 2020.

1. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Today on a beautiful Maryland morning, I picked up this excellent bass via a local seller on Facebook Marketplace. It is my first time playing a USA-made EBMM Sterling and I am super-impressed. The weight is nice (around 8.5 lbs.), the neck is super-comfortable, and the sound is even better than I anticipated. I experimented a little with the slap tone and I was struck by its richness and depth. The finish is also excellent with only a minor ding or two. Music Man quality seldom disappoints. I acquired it for a very good price including the OHSC:

full_reverse2.jpg full2.jpg
    headstock_reverse2.jpg headstock2.jpg
    body2.jpg profile2.jpg

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  2. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I think the pickups are ceramic on the Sterlings and Alnico on the StingRays, but I am not 100% certain.

murphy, Randall and j.kernodle like this.
  4. Tubehed

Tubehed

Oct 27, 2011
    Westminister, CA
    Yes, they are ceramic on the Sterlings. Beautiful bass! Congrats! Love the necks on the Sterlings.

5. Tubehed

Tubehed

Oct 27, 2011
    Westminister, CA
    Also, the black PG looks nice but it might look really cool with a white pearl PG, as well.

selowitch likes this.
  6. king_biscuit

king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    That's a great color. I have never owned a Sterling, but I have owned SR5s (ceramic models) and always really like the sound.

tindrum and selowitch like this.
  7. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Other possibilities for pickguards: red pearl, blue pearl, mint, blue shell, and of course tortoise.

8. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Northern Nevada, U.S.
    Ohhhhh, that's gorgeous.

selowitch likes this.
  9. Tubehed

Tubehed

Oct 27, 2011
    Westminister, CA
    Yeah, might have to rotate with all those choices!

10. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Perhaps, but aftermarket pickguards can get a mite expensive, especially if you own multiples!

11. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I used to own a 2008 MIM Fender Jazz Bass in Lake Placid Blue that I fitted with a white pearl pickguard. It looked great.

12. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    You're correct. I love Sterling pickups, just a little more aggressive to my ears than Stingray pickups.

selowitch likes this.
  13. Border

Border

Dec 31, 2010
    Spokane, Wa.
    Congratulations on your gorgeous new bass. I have never tried an EBMM, but have always heard good things about them. Play it in good health.

selowitch likes this.
  14. j.kernodle

j.kernodle

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    I had that exact color neck and pickguard combo for years. I played that bass happily for years until I found this forum and went GAS crazy. I miss that bass. Congrats on your purchase!

selowitch likes this.
  15. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

it looks dynamite --- but i'll bet it sounds awesome! that's quite an instrument, and i'm sure behind the color --- i think the black pg is right! congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

selowitch likes this.
  16. Erik herman

Erik herman Gold Supporting Member

That's the only bass that I've owned two of, they really are all around great!

petch likes this.
  17. Huw Phillips

Huw Phillips Life is like TV if the channel sucks change it Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2019
    Hoboken
    I remember me and you looking at another one of these about 6 months or more ago a black one, glad you managed to get one enjoy

selowitch likes this.
  18. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Guest

Oct 1, 2011
    nice snag!

19. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Putting her through her paces, I’d say it’s even better than I expected.

dangnewt likes this.
  20. spike42

spike42 Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2007
    Gastonia, NC