1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD - '66 Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deekay911, Jan 14, 2012.

1. deekay911

deekay911 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Charleston SC
    I have been looking for a nice '66 Jazz for a while, and this last few weeks the stars aligned and with the help of a smooth transaction with TBer Gearhunter, this pristine '66 Jazz arrived...

Sunburst, 100% original and untouched, looks like it has hardly been played in its entire life. The bridge cover has the mutes intact, even the case looks new, with key and working locks!

:hyper::bassist::hyper::bassist:

It needs a setup, but the sustain and tone is incredible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    Noice!!! Congrats. I also have a '66 100% straight but it's a blocked neck and shows a bit more wear. Only on the front though - the original owner had a body guard on it from day 1. It now sports a similar guard.

I have a lot of Jazz basses and love them all - but none of them sound like my '66. I know I got a great one.

Best of luck with yours. Make sure you gig it - that's where the magic truly shows!

3. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    Beautimous! You can tell the bridge cover was on for a long time before it was removed, the red extends farther in that area because it faded less.
    I had a nearly identical '65 back in the '70s. It didn't have the neck binding. Still kicking myself for trading it.

4. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    beatiful. Congratulations.

5. deekay911

Nov 4, 2007
    Charleston SC
    Thanks guys - the dilemma now is whether to gig this beauty. Seems a shame for it never to see the light of day....I think I'll be selective and use it from time to time, but be careful to keep it nice and safe...what do you guys with vintage basses as nice as this one do?

6. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Gig it, but never let it leave your sight!

Good Luck!

7. bassclef112

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    Well, selective is better than not.

I don't own any basses I won't take out, regardless of their condition. It'd be like owning a car you don't drive. I mean, it's great to have something pristine, but it really sucks to have something pristine.

Though some concern is understandable - the magic is hearing this thing sing in a band situation. It ain't in your living room......

These babies have to be played.

8. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I'm not a collector so I only keep basses that I gig. I would gig it, but I would also case it between sets and make sure that it was very secure on stage without me!

Good luck, she's a beauty!!

9. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    These old Jazzes with the Lollipop tuners and neck binding with dots are probably the sweetest looking thing Fender ever produced.

10. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    are you a bass player or someone who collects bass guitars?

11. deekay911

Nov 4, 2007
    Charleston SC
    I'm a bass player... :)

12. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    play the hell out of it. And if it doesnt sound good call pawn shop and ask them how much they offer for it ;)

13. bassclef112

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    Play it until it starts to look like this.....

The original owner left the bridge cover on all the time - note the sweat (beer?) grunge that got under it and ate into the nitro.

The forearm wear on the lower bout was from playing (normally) near the neck; the wear spot near the PG is from resting his hand on the cover and cranking it with a pick. The back is nearly perfect because of the body cover - but who cares?;)

I take it out on gigs regularly, and whenever I encounter a person "in the know" all they say is "Don't ever sell it!"

Now - don't you want your bass to bring that same reaction?

Attached Files:

14. Systolic

Systolic Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    I'm more of a P guy myself, but these mid 60's J's get me every time. Absolutely fantastic!

15. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    My '66 P is also pristine! I don't think it was ever taken out of the case!! (Maybe once or tiwice). Take care of that awesome bass and play the hell out of it!!
    [​IMG]
    By jimmypantz at 2011-10-28
    [​IMG]
    By jimmypantz at 2011-10-28

16. 77PBass

77PBass Banned

Dec 5, 2007
    nyc
    Nice bass. While I prefer Pre CBS, the combination of binding, dots and lollipops is very attractive.

17. stacker

stacker Banned

Feb 24, 2010
    scotland
    Absolutely beautiful!

I had a Fender Japan non-export Jazz with the dot/bound neck but for some reason they didn't put the lollipop tuners on it.

18. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Beautiful bass! My favorite J combo, dots and bindings, butterbean tuners.

Mine is identical save for a few thousand hours more worth of wear!

Play the heck out of it- if you take care of it it will just look better and better. Nitro wears beautifully and the layers fade beautifully around the arm area, etc.

19. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Wow! Awesome! Congrats and play the hell out of it!

Enjoy! :bassist::bassist::bassist:

20. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I guess if we're posting pics of 66's - that looks EXACTLY like my buddy's 66 - bound w/ dots (pretty rare, btw).

Play it 'til looks like this...

000_0160.

000_0158.