1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: 80s hair holdover

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Paul Szegedin, May 3, 2021 at 1:20 PM.

Tags:
  1. Paul Szegedin

Paul Szegedin

Dec 28, 2020
    I feel like I need to join a Poison cover band now.
    $30 for a Hondo Fame 8300 bass with great Grover tuners and actually a great neck. Just ugly as sin.

Does anybody know what wood the body of these is made of? Because I'm gonna re-finish it. I'm hearing alder for Hondos, but when I get the neck off, this wood is very light in color.

IMG-20210503-145949.jpg
    IMG-20210503-145957.jpg
    IMG-20210503-150016.jpg
    IMG-20210503-150026.jpg

Last edited: May 3, 2021 at 2:17 PM
  2. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    Doesn't look so bad. Pink and black... a nice combo.

3. Paul Szegedin

Paul Szegedin

Dec 28, 2020
    It is almost a shame to strip the paint, because it's a genuine 1986 artefact. Color is really not my thing though. Gonna have to figure out how to make the neck look presentable, because it's really a nice piece of maple. Even the dot inlays are pinkish.

Potomuss, MattZilla, Outbush and 3 others like this.
  4. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Looks a lot better than those nuclear green Deans....

5. Riverrunsred

Riverrunsred

Jan 20, 2010
    Central FL
    I like it as is.

6. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Black knobs, black strings - rock it!

7. Riff Ranger

Riff Ranger Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    All that for the price of one of the tuning machines? Score! Since you’re already determined to work on it, maybe you could find a body that would fit the neck and keep the ‘80s finish intact for when you come to your senses?!?!

:laugh:

(I kid in the italics, but I did mean it about finding a different body in a finish you like.)

Let us know where you end up here:

Let's See Your Hot-Rodded Cheapo Basses!

Ikkir, Amano, KaraQ and 3 others like this.
  8. Paul Szegedin

Paul Szegedin

Dec 28, 2020
    Keep the paint on the body, or the neck? You have a point there, in any case. I'm starting to think some metalhead might really like it refurbished. It's unusual because it's routed from the back and doesn't have pickguard screw holes. I thought the color was atrocious :vomit: and just bought it to use the alder (?) body and tuners, maybe the pickups and bridge, which are all fine. But it does seem like a shame to strip the oh-so-80s logo off this headstock. Not sure yet.

I will definitely post to your cheapo bass thread -- this is the fourth frankenbass under $85 that I've bought and have in various states of revival or goofy mods. :bassist:

Riff Ranger likes this.
  9. Riff Ranger

Riff Ranger Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    I thought you liked the neck as-is and had planned to refinish the body. Nothing about it strikes me as particularly collectible, and you’ve got your “before” photographs, so if I’m being serious, I think you should go after whatever “after” you have in mind and make that thing a desirable player for you or someone else :bassist:

Paul Szegedin likes this.
  10. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Bayside, New York
    Don’t paint it. Get some colored strings and make it a novelty bass. Between your outfits and instruments the people will be entertained both visually and musically.

Amano and Kubicki Fan like this.
  11. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 vaxx! Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2006
    North AMERICA, USA
    0C4E629B-AFF0-4D9A-9659-4D9173AAB1F7.jpeg What's so bad about that finish? kinda resembles Fender's Burgundy Mist. Or maybe their Salmon Pink. Heck, I'd throw a pickguard on it like this p bass. Ultimately, you like what you like.

JimmyM and Jim Nazium like this.
  12. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    That's not that 80's looking--that pink is almost 50's kinda pink, like pulling up to the Drive-In for a patty melt and malt. I dig it.

13. Paul Szegedin

Paul Szegedin

Dec 28, 2020
    I would like to know what lurks beneath the paint before stripping it. It's not plywood, but it's thick, lightweight, and a lighter shade than another alder body I stripped recently. I'm not finding this specific model on the google.

IMG-20210503-170104.jpg

Well "burgundy mist" or "salmon" is being charitable toward this bass. :laugh: It's a very 80s, hair-metal, Cindy Lauper kind of pink. If it's a decent piece of wood, I'm going to refinish it in a dark natural finish stain with a gloss poly.

My outfits? Melissa, is that you? :D:D

Bass4Brkfast, Riff Ranger and 57pbass like this.
  14. smarthound

smarthound

Mar 15, 2020
    A cream or aged-white pickguard's going to make that bass look cool.

Hondo Fames were the company's (Samick's) attempt at building a better quality instrument than they were renowned for, using decent hardware (like the Grover tuners). I have a Hondo Fame 12-string electric and it's awesome (also with Grovers).

Agree that the logo is tacky though! :bored:

Bass4Brkfast and Paul Szegedin like this.
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Ya, why not? That looks good. Besides, it doesn't look as 80's as you think it does.

16. what a beauty! don't paint it!

Amano and Clutchcargo like this.
  17. Just sell it at a good profit and mod something thats easy to replace

Rabidhamster likes this.
  18. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    I like it.

19. coy garcia

coy garcia

Jan 18, 2020
    I think it's awesome as is...I have regretted every bass I've ever modded as the yrs go by.

20. Paul Szegedin

Paul Szegedin

Dec 28, 2020
    You guys are making me feel guilty in advance for the mauling I'm going to do to this bass. I mean, it was $30. I think I'd have to get ten times that to be motivated to pack it up and schlep down to the post office and sell it.

Riff Ranger likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021