NBD!: '92 G&L SB-1 :D

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SidNitzerglobin, Jun 26, 2020.

1. SidNitzerglobin

SidNitzerglobin

Feb 12, 2019
    fROMOHIO
    I really wasn't looking for another bass, but I couldn't resist this one when I saw @TimBosby 's post on it being available & a couple short days later here it is :) :
    mag5NCl.jpg
    HO8Lbkv.jpg
    I still haven't had a chance to get serious w/ it yet but the 1.5 hours or so I got in today on it between afternoon meetings leave me feeling very glad I went for it.

I'm particularly fond of the neck profile so far, it's a bit wider at the nut w/ a higher radius thickness to it than I would typically think would work for me, but it's feeling natural as can be here:
    ePbgu86.jpg
    The ergonomics seem phenomenal for me w/ a great balance & a belly/ribcage cut that just makes it disappear into my body playing it seated & a very comfortable forearm area. The neck seems to sit a tad bit further out than my other full scales, probably pretty close to the reach on the B-301, but still seems very manageable:
    xBQC1xq.jpg
    Very early for a true tone assessment but so far I love the split MFD in here. There's a great weight in the low mids through the frankenrig so far that seems pretty special. Best verbal desciption I can come up w/ at the moment is a warm punchiness, but focused enough that I think it stands a good chance of sitting nicely in a mix. Judging from the metering on the compressor it seems to be about even output to the JMJ Mustang, but definitely seems like it wants to rock a bit more w/ some nice growl to it when digging the right hand in moderately

I couldn't resist borrowing a couple of the CLF knobs I had on my Doheny to throw on here:
    lPazpKq.jpg
    It came set up just about perfect for me w/ some cool powdercoat black lollipop Hipshots that hook up w/ the bridge base & neckplate really well to me :
    iJho8ge.jpg
    About the only change I could see making to this one is strings if I discover a tonal annoyance when I get deep into it that I haven't yet, & I'm planning to cut a guard for it from bakelite to mostly complete the blackout treatment. The guard it came w/ is a truly impressive looking black abalone material but I think it might be even cooler looking to me w/ the matte black w/o the white outline of the guard.

Anyway, super jazzed w/ this one so far :D Thanks for taking a look!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    bdgotoh, CTBassGuy, tindrum and 29 others like this.
  2. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    There you go! That's badazz. Love it.

3. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Nice score there. Looks like the tuners were changed out for black Hipshot lollies, also. That guard looks great with the Emerald Blue finish, too. Those Chandler guards aren't cheap, so more bonus points.

I think you'll find the reach to first fret is ergo-friendly, and not at all like a Guild 301.

Grats. :thumbsup:

Low8, SidNitzerglobin and /\/\3phist0 like this.
  4. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Glad you dig it! The black abalone guard goes even better than I expected with the green. The CLF knobs definitely look cool. I mailed the other three this evening.

SidNitzerglobin likes this.
  5. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

I'm just glad I didn't see the ad for that one. Not sure I could've resisted.

6. SidNitzerglobin

SidNitzerglobin

Feb 12, 2019
    fROMOHIO
    Thanks!

I wasn't meaning the reach thing as a negative necessarily. I don't have issues w/ the B-301 or this one so far, I just notice that I'm using my wingspan more than w/ the Ric or the Jazz Bass on either.

I probably shouldn't have opened the thread when I saw it, but I'm awfully glad I did :)

Awesome man, thanks! For the knobs & for moving this one along to me :bassist:

TimBosby likes this.
  7. BB Brian

BB Brian

Apr 15, 2020
    West Texas
    Just a beautiful bass. And thank you for reassuring my my workbench is clean enough.

8. SidNitzerglobin

SidNitzerglobin

Feb 12, 2019
    fROMOHIO
    LOL, I feel reminding people their workspaces are plenty organized by comparison might be a calling for me :)

TimBosby and BB Brian like this.
  9. Congratulations! That bass, my friend, ticks ALL my boxes, including the fret that Leo omitted on his P's and J's......

10. Ross McLochness

Ross McLochness Living Room Bassist Extraordinaire Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Eden Prairie, MN
    I think we should play iSpy with the very first picture. I spy a set of D’addario NYXL bass strings. ;)

11. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Suspended Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    SUAVECITO:drool:

Spidey2112 and SidNitzerglobin like this.
  12. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I LOVE the color, especially with that pickguard... and I'm not usually a favor of that color guard, but that combo really works well together!

Play that thing and enjoy! :smug:

13. SidNitzerglobin

SidNitzerglobin

Feb 12, 2019
    fROMOHIO
    Thanks guys! Further play has only reinforced my feelings on this one, it's just a damn great bass for me :)

I traced out the guard on some bakelite this afternoon, hopefully I'll feel motivated to get started on the cutting tomorrow:
    A64WP8z.jpg

14. gunai

gunai

Dec 22, 2016
    That's a beauty. Serves as yet another reminder that sooner or later I'll end up hunting for a second SB-1.

15. SidNitzerglobin

SidNitzerglobin

Feb 12, 2019
    fROMOHIO
    Little update on this one:

1st as expected I've only fallen deeper in love w/ the sounds of this one through either of the amp setups I've plugged it into (even more so through the PF50T). I'm on the fence if I want to give a set of LaBella RX4NB .045-.100 out on here, but it would be mainly just for the slightly smaller 4th string & nice flexible feel of the whole set. Whatever machismo I possess says I should man up & leave these on here, but I think my joints are (for now) politely lobbying for the switch.

I also finished the rough cut of the outer perimeter of the bakelite guard this evening. Here it is sitting under the strings on top of the current guard w/ everything still loaded up on it:
    wdoIAUF.jpg
    Still need to sand the shape, cut the somewhat tricky pickup hole, & drill it, but I think it will wind up hitting the spot nicely for me once I get it finished up & take off the protective film. Hopefully I can get it mostly done on Saturday.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  16. gunai

gunai

Dec 22, 2016
    I foresee you opting to go back to the guard it came with, but I'm of course biased because it's the pickguard that would've made my bass look exactly as I'd want it to (with the G&L compromises of even having a pickguard to begin with and them only offering chrome hardware).

20191023_110342.jpg

And yes, if it was a right-handed bass and from a year where the pickguard would match, I'd have just offered to buy yours from you :)

17. SidNitzerglobin

SidNitzerglobin

Feb 12, 2019
    fROMOHIO
    Hehe, definitely feels like the prevailing wind around here is to put tort or something like it on anything, but it's all preference & all good (OffsetGuitars was the same way). Bakelite guards are kind of like my tort that way.

Don't get me wrong I like the abalone guard (& tort on the right instruments), I just think to my eye it takes focus away from the bass as a whole & that awesome mini flake in the finish. I also like the hookup in matte textures between the hardware & the guard w/ little accents of steel, nickel & chrome to break up/pop out of the sea of black.

I think the bakelite is 99.9% certainly the way for me so the black abalone one will likely be available once I have the replacement I'm happy w/ installed.

gunai likes this.
  18. SidNitzerglobin

SidNitzerglobin

Feb 12, 2019
    fROMOHIO
    Got the guard for this one most of the way there today:
    37S1qzm.jpg
    MFLloO1.jpg
    I'm thinking I'll probably do a bit more sanding & hit it up w/ a couple/few coats of satin lacquer at some point in the not too distant future.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  19. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Looking nice.

20. SidNitzerglobin

SidNitzerglobin

Feb 12, 2019
    fROMOHIO
    Little (but actually quite huge :) ) update to this one today, earlier in the week I finally took the plunge on a set of TI JF344 to put on here & they wound up arriving this afternoon:
    OK1CUiv.jpg
    I had some hemming & hawing about whether the action would wind up too low resistance/squishy for me when I'm not doing my best approximation of finesse playing & if it would wind up too dull tonally, but after very slight relief & saddle height tweaks I couldn't be more sure that my fears were entirely unfounded on both fronts. These seem like 1000% the right string for this bass for me :D I was super surprised to find the clarity & mid punch seem like marked improvements for me over the D'Addario rounds & it's full on goldilocks zone for easy fretting & bends vs. resistance to rattle/buzz when I'm extra exuberant in my fingering or popping w/ the right hand.

The only bit that wasn't perfect for this bass were the red silk wraps but that was easily remedied to my satisfaction w/ a Sharpie:
    lkPJoQr.jpg

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021