1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD and mini review - Moollon Classic J5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AngelCrusher, Mar 22, 2016.

1. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    The wait for me is finally over. I have received a brand new hand made Moollon 5 string, and I could not be happier. It is always a gamble to spend boutique money without being able to play the bass first, but I knew plenty of name players using this bass, and heard enough clips of it, to know I had to have one.

I saw pictures of available options and immediately had to have this one. It is Firemist Orange and the first one that Young Joon Park has made in this color. Sign me up, I am all about having a unique instrument. The matching headstock is a thing I really love, and the pics should explain why.

Tonewise, this bass sounds exactly how I expected. A vintage Jazz with warmth to it and lots of nice midrange. I slid it into a track I first used my custom Bacchus DX6 on (which has 2 big split style pickups - a real beast - sounds excellent) and did not lose any low mids or have to deal with harsh high end. That is the holy grail for me as a Jazz bass player because it is not easy to find richness in the low mids, especially if you engage both pickups - but I finally have it! The tone knob is very versatile. Fully on it is very bright for any aggressive tone you could want, and rolled a little past 75% off it is fingerstyle/slap nirvana. Fully down is a very usable tone as well. I could see myself using a lot more tone settings than usual on sessions, which is a testament to the quality of this bass.

The playability is where I knew I spent my money wisely. The action was setup pretty low out of the box and the tuners were hyper responsive. These are the best tuners I have ever had on a bass and I have top quality Gotoh's and hipshots in the past. You can make very small adjustments on a strobe tuner and it grabs immediately. I love that. The neck - how to describe it. It just feels playable and worn in even though it is brand new. It is not super skinny but its a perfect balance of a flat radius up top and a very comfortable depth that feels exactly right. I also am very impressed at the upper fret access. the cutaway is so perfect that when you get up to the 20th fret your wrist rests right in it. It's incredible really.

Between the Bacchus basses and now this I just feel spoiled. This is probably the best bass I have every purchased in my career. I'll give it some time, but I already have this as my main player and I will be saving up some $$$ for a Moollon PBass next.

Feel free to ask any questions.

2OUC7bZl.

zqdGMPkl.

9u9eYAdl. gjIEO6cl.
    c2jyZoCl.

2. sunnycal

sunnycal

Aug 21, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    It looks and sounds like it's great. I'm excited because mine is going to ship tomorrow. Have fun. You can also get a cool acoustic sound playing on the neck.

3. AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    Man you are going to love it. Honestly. Get ready for an incredible bass.

4. sunnycal

sunnycal

Aug 21, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    By the way, once yours shipped how long did it take to arrive? Was there any customs?

5. irjason

irjason

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Awesome. I bet that finish looks great in person!

AngelCrusher likes this.
  6. AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    Thanks, it really does. Its' a stunner. Very vintage looking.

irjason likes this.
  7. AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    Yes but not that bad. The shipping was rather fast. I want to say 4-5 days.

8. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    If you can...would you say the neck feel and string spacing is more Fender Roscoe Beck V or more Fender American standard V?

9. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest Gold Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    What are the pickups? Are they custom, or a brand name?

10. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Nice bass you have here...

11. AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    More standard for sure. But the radius may be a little flatter. It is a very very comfortable and easy neck to play. The only way to describe is to say it feels broken in, like an old friend.

Custom hand wound to match the Fender pre CBS pickups.

Thank you, I am extremely happy with it.

I restrung it today with Fodera nickels and got it set up. It now records absolutely incredible. I was blown away by the richness of the tone. It is a very balanced and even tone.

wintremute and murphy like this.
  12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Angelcrusher, as you say, some really nice players use Moolon basses, and I don't believe they are buying them for the heck of it. The finish and matching headstock on your bass is flawless.

I know I am in bass heaven with my own DJ5. A really nice passive Jazz five cannot be beat, IMO. That is doubly true if you also own a nice outboard preamp.

13. wintremute

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Now that you have this, when will you use your Bacchus?

14. AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    Yes indeed and thank you. I also have a Noble preamp/di coming which has the Fender tonestack style EQ like a Sadaowsky so this will be absolute tonal bliss for me and my clients.

I can now see why players are buying these. The tone is really unbeatable for recording. It is a very fat jazz tone. The lakland 5 is a fantastic bass as well, and I enjoyed using mine for 2 years.

TUNYMUSIC likes this.
  15. AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    I use all my basses. I always have a main player which will be my Moollon, but the Bacchus has a very unique, modern P/Bartolini hybrid tone that is just too cool. It is also a 6 string and I always get some clients that write bass on keyboard and using a 6 sometimes makes it much easier to play the fast and high runs that sometimes come with that territory.

TUNYMUSIC, MattZilla and wintremute like this.
  16. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    I like that red color. So this Moollon is a hand made korean (MIK) bass?

TUNYMUSIC likes this.
  17. wintremute

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    What are all of your basses?

18. AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    Thanks. Pretty much. Here is a very nice review of my bass - Review: Moolon J-Classic V

Moollon J Classic 5
    Bacchus DX6
    Sterling by Music Man SUB 4

That's it, but I plan to add a Moollon P 4 string.

wintremute and Flaked Beans like this.
  19. sunnycal

sunnycal

Aug 21, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Anxiously awaiting delivery of my J-IV which has been at the airport, I'm assuming in customs for the last 24 hours. I had hoped to get it before the weekend started. I'm very curious about their electric guitars also IMG_0196.JPG .

TUNYMUSIC and AngelCrusher like this.
  20. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Aha, tim lefebvre's white p bass was actually a moollon! (just saw him on moollon's wbsite with the white p bass) we were so foucused on the beer and the chicks that night and i totally forgot to ask him about the bass. :rollno:

TUNYMUSIC likes this.