1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD: carvin pb5 fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by magyk8ball, Mar 1, 2018.

1. D48F181D-7560-4856-B484-F83B05CC400B. 63BF36C3-89F8-483D-92FF-7C05D59662A5. 7524EFB6-42F8-4F39-8D61-3FBC825050B9. F68F4F3A-401D-4368-8F30-7DD33732238C. Just got a new carvin pb5 lined fretless in Orangeburst. Got it off the in-stock page on their website
    This thing looks fantastic. The pictures really dont do it justice.
    Cant wait to play it in just a bit to see how well its going to work out.

Will mention it needs the strings replaced with flats. Most likely TI flats

Specs:
    5string pbass
    Trans orange burst
    One piece swamp ash body
    Black log
    Active and radhv bridge pi
    White pearliid pickguard

Ben B, PotsdamBass8, Low84 and 3 others like this.
  2. saabfender

saabfender

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Great. I have wanted a nice instrument from them for ages. Looking forward to hear if you love it.

3. Update: Ive been playing this thing a lot for a few weeks. Got past the 10 day trial, so im definitely keeping it. And im really enjoying all it has to offer. Ive re-strung it with Daddrio Flats, and they sound great on this bass. Recorded with it a bit, and its about as easy to get into a mix as my P-Bass, so i consider that a plus. The 2band eq is nice, i appreciate the lack of mid controls. Im usually playing this bass in passive, or if in active i add just a hair of treble. The neck pickup is very much P-Bass sounding, and i like it. The bridge radius humbucker solo'd is ok, but pretty thin sounding. But combined with the p pickup on the low B, it sounds great! The low B just doesnt have enough meat to it to stand out without the Radius humbucker in the bridge.

Really enjoying the fretless nature of the bass, can get some mwah if needed. A bit on the heavy side. By far my heaviest bass. It does balance pretty good, but still heavy. I think a 3" padded leather strap with a suede backing should compensate for the weight.

GlassToMouth likes this.
  4. That is a stunning bass you have right there. You've got some nice looking grain on that swamp ash body as well. People seem to rave about the Kiesel/Carvin SCP. There's a recent brief demo video on the Kiesel youtube channel of a PB5 that sounded absolutely devastating. I think it has the same pickup configuration as yours.

Thanks for posting the follow up. It's nice to see folks like yourself post more info after the initial honeymoon phase. Congrats on a beautiful bass.

5. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Sweet! Enjoy!