1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - Duesenberg Starplayer - Art Deco Content!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Killing Floor, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Hi, Y'all! Just brought this home today and played 'til my fingers bled, just like it says in the owner manual. Smooth as silk and oh my God, chrome!
    I've been stalking hollows for a while and this was always on the radar but there aren't many to be had right now. And funny story, the dealer discounted it because they thought it didn't work. Shhhh, it's not a position switch, it's a kill switch. So no sound is off, not broken. But thanks for the discount anyway. It's 8 lbs. on the money, not bad. It's a 30.7" scale, took exactly 1 second to find my way from my P to the shorty. The frets are very nicely finished, Plek machined. There's not a buzz or rattle to be found.

So funny story, in case you need one, I showed my wife the basses I was looking at including a white Jack Casady and a red Gretsch and this one. I said "check out the Art Deco details, this would look great hanging in the office." She said "get it, that's cool". Easy as that. So make sure to point it out as decor instead of just another bass. Works for me. The detailing is really fun, classic and modern, total European nod to Deco. Binding end to end including the f. Flamed back. Unique machines and hardware and threaded strap locking. Waiting anxiously for a creama leather strap. Currently wearing Roto 77 (I think?), I've got some LB that I'll probably throw on at some point. So much fun to play. Really easy reach (even though I have long arms and big hands), great balance on the strap. The arched back feels pretty good too.
    The 2 buckers are pretty fiery too. The tone has a little Ric type growl with the tone dimed and with the neck on and tone off it's close enough to a P that it's within my comfort zone. But it's just unique enough sounding to be a complement to my collection.

Pics or it didn't happen:

SideshowDom likes this.
  2. Killing Floor

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    D4.JPG
    D5.JPG
    D6.JPG
    D9.JPG
    D1.JPG
    D2.PNG
    D3.JPG
    D7.JPG
    D8.JPG
    D10.JPG

3. Killing Floor

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    And yeah, it comes with bandages!

4. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    That is very cool!
    Are those locking tuners or is the wheel on the back for friction adjustment?
    I can't believe it balances on a strap.

5. Killing Floor

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    They are not locking strings. Best I can tell is that is a cover. Post is hollow through the back. Yeah, it hangs pretty well, neck is pretty short and smaller headstock than some.

6. Beautiful instrument!

Killing Floor likes this.
  7. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    It's A Duesie.

8. Earthshaker

Earthshaker

Jun 28, 2000
    NH
    Damn, that's BEAUTIFUL!

9. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    Nice!

10. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Lovely! If I ever get a hollow body, that's exactly the model I want.

11. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    A lot of cool details, I really like the knobs.

Enjoy!

12. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Love the D tail.

13. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I dig it.

14. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    So.... do you like your Duesenberg more now that you've got some replies? :rolleyes:

Volker Kirstein and Ricky Rioli like this.
  15. Killing Floor

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    No. I like it the same. I have been playing this one the most. I think I am enjoying the scale. But thank you for asking. I'd get one again. They are scarce in the states.
    Yeah, they do a lot of branding, more than most. Not so subtle.

2saddleslab likes this.
  16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021