1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD-Fernandes 25th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Uncle K, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    0917161947. I had been GAS-free for about four months when I took my medium scale Fernandes Revolver out of the case. After playing it for about five minutes I realized how medium scale really is a better fit for me. So began the search for a new bass. I immediately searched for 'Fernandes' on ebay and this one piqued my interest. The ad listed it as a 25th Anniversary FRB-85. A google search turned up nothing.

After sitting in my watch list for a month I finally pulled the trigger. Four days later my new bass was waiting for me at the Post Office. I picked it up on my way to my brother's house. Opening the box I was hit with a fairly strong aroma of fish, and wondered what I had just gotten myself into. Off came the bubble wrap and WOW! Just WOW! This neck feels almost as solid as my old Stingray. Fernandes really pulled out all the stops for this one. The passive BassTec pickups are pretty cool too. I've already gotten a lot of sounds from my nephews Peavey guitar combo. It also has some sort of full-range/low pass switch, which I haven't quite figured out yet.

The neck is dead straight, the action is super low, and I got some fret buzz on the E and A strings. I'll give it some new strings and a set up in the next few days, but this neck is amazing.

Of course my nephew wanted to put his hands all over it, so I let him hold it for this pic. Can't wait to get this set-up and play thru a real bass amp.
    And here's the headstock
    $_3.JPG
    If anyone knows anything about this bass please let me know.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  2. Uncle K

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    The nut width is 1-5/8 and the neck is pretty big compared to my other 2 Fernandes.

3. That looks great!

Monster Truck likes this.
  4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Very cool congrats and I'm surprised there aren't more medium scale basses

Monster Truck likes this.
  5. Uncle K

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    I played this bass for a couple hours in my brother's garage where I could really listen to my amp. I really like the pups in this bass. Neck is a nice low mid thump, P-bass but rounder, to straight mud with the tone knob down.

The bridge is like a meatier Jazz, reminiscent of a Stingray. I'm a P-Bass guy, but I just love the bridge pup in this bass.

Last night I took this bass out to a jam/audition. It sat in the mix pretty good plucking over the neck pup, but some of the bridge pup growl got lost. I ran my GK MB200 thru an old school Peavey cab. The speaker has been replaced with an Eminence Kappalite. EC was flat. I got a good tone with both pups, the neck does a pretty good P sound, and the guitarist and drummer complentented my tone. Guitarist even said Fernandes makes good guitars.

I really like the way this bass hangs on a strap. The body is bigger than my other Fernandes, which now feels like a toy compared to this one. Weighs around 8.5 pounds and my shoulder was a little sore today, but I'm out of "strap shape"

This is a cool bass. I've made it my go-to.

6. Uncle K

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    I'm probably talking to myself, but anyway, the ebay seller claims a light ash body. Screenshot_2016-10-14-09-36-05.

7. Uncle K

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    How about an update

This is a cool bass. I wish the fretboard was rounder and I'm not crazy about the color. And I guess I wouldn't mind it were string thru. All of this is overshadowed by this bass being frickin bad ass. I really love the neck, I can deal with the flat fretboard. The tone is everything I want . The mud switch is great, keeps me out of guitar territory and lets them shine. Oh yeah, the groove is strong with this bass. Bandleader doesn't want me to play anything else.

Here's a pic
    1210161915d.
    1210161429-1.
    FB_IMG_1482786471845.