1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - G&L LB-100

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Crusher47, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Just picked up this new to me G&L LB-100 off Facebook Marketplace. Previous owner upgraded the pickup to a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder along with the pots and upgraded to tuners to Schaller's. Also included the hardshell case.

She looks and sounds great! The Brazilian Cherry fretboard really looks cool, I didn't think I would like it but looks much better in person. This bass is a little on the heavier side but a nice wide strap makes it a non issue.

I will be ordering a G&L L2000 later this morning to keep her company and complete my Leo Fender collection :)

Ax997SM.jpg

Wsoe4NB.jpg

mq0wKDz.jpg

Paul Corrosion, Jfp, Qlanq and 66 others like this.
  2. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    Colors work well together, I think! :thumbsup: Really sweet! Love the grain!

BrentSimons and Crusher47 like this.
  3. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Gorgeous!

Crusher47 likes this.
  4. Bassclef46

Bassclef46

Feb 1, 2021
    Glad you like it. That’s a great bass.

Tributes are heavier. Not sure I would have replaced the pickups. G&L pickups are great.

tindrum, dabbler, Low8 and 9 others like this.
  5. Crusher47

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Yeah I was a little surprised at the pickup swap as well, but I do love me some QP's and the seller did include the original pickup, so I could always swap it back if I wanted to.

tindrum and osonu like this.
  6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i've always felt that G&Ls are the top-of-the-line fenders (i know i'm not alone). your ax is a great example! pretty cool that you have a leo fender collection --- this one will add some competency and beauty! congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

7. 350125g0

350125g0

Mar 4, 2020
    That's beautiful!

What's the neck profile like on these? I don't see them in the wild here, so I haven't had an opportunity to get my hands on one.

Crusher47 likes this.
  8. Crusher47

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    It's a little on the chunkier P-bass side but not quite baseball bat size. It's comfortable

350125g0 and lowendrachel like this.
  9. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    Very nice and glad you like it, but being a G&L guy since 86 I am a little puzzled by the all the changes made to A Leo design. It really changes the bass IMVHO
    It’s just me and as long as you are happy that’s all that really matters
    Enjoy
    Duke

Low8 and Crusher47 like this.
  10. Rdore2000

Rdore2000

Jul 21, 2008
    I was torn between this one and the Cutlass and decided to go for the latter. Congrats on your purchase.

Crusher47 likes this.
  11. Juststanley

Juststanley Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Tejas
    Very nice...congrats ! It's a G & L day....LOL..just noticed...you have already seen it ! I don't think you missed out...your LB is gorgeous

Here's my NBD fallout1.jpg

tindrum, MG Wolf, Road Hat and 8 others like this.
  12. Iv@N

Iv@N

Jun 8, 2008
    Münster, Germany
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, G&L
    Congratulations!! Beautiful grain pattern!
    LB-100s are GREAT basses :)

Crusher47 likes this.
  13. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Did they include the OG tuners which should have been tapered post G&L branded Schallers. I see no rationale in changing them.:confused:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  14. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    That's some nice grain on the front. Is it black on the back or burst back there?

Crusher47 likes this.
  15. Ellery

Ellery

Mar 25, 2015
    Very nice! Any comments on the SD pickup? I love the stock pickup in my LB-100, can't imagine ever changing it.

Low8, One Way and RissKippery like this.
  16. Crusher47

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Yeah I don't know why he changed them either, maybe just modded to mod I guess.

Kubicki Fan likes this.
  17. ghill166

ghill166

Nov 3, 2004
    Eastern WI
    That's a great bass, and it has almost every mod that you could possibly want already done.

I also have a Tribute LB100, and I also swapped the pickup out. Unlike the import L2000 or import SB2, the LB100 had kind of a crappy pickup in it. I was getting some microphonics issues, and it wasn't potted at all. I eventually changed it out for an EMG GZR, and have been very impressed with the quality of the EMG compared to the cheap pickup that it came with.

the tribute series doesn't come with the G&L branded schaller tuners; that's just the US versions, I believe.

The neck is about halfway between the standard J and P sizes. It's a nice comfortable compromise.

tindrum and Crusher47 like this.
  18. perkingbass

perkingbass

Oct 16, 2018
    Europe
    G&ls are great! I have a kiloton tribute. Great neck and body, lots of sustain, and good sound.

tindrum, Crusher47 and One Way like this.
  19. Skullheadrac

Skullheadrac Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2018
    So Cal
    I've been thinking about adding a P Bass to my collection finally. This post might sway me to a G&L instead of fender. I already have an L2K

20. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I love the G&L LB-100. You are one lucky man, OP.

Crusher47 and Root 5 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021