1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD - Holy Hollowbody !!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by InnerBass, Apr 5, 2018.

1. InnerBass

InnerBass The Rallies, Creme Tangerine - "Chart Gun" 4 Hire. Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2014
    Stage Left
    Hey TB'ers -

I've been looking for a killer Hollowbody bass to gig in a regularly working old school outfit I just joined. Like most of us, I learn, compare and research basses online quite a bit and I play as many different basses as I can get my hands on. But when it comes to Hollowbody basses, most shops have a limited selection and some shops don't carry any at all. Most of my friends and bass peers don't have one either. So I've been relying on input from national pros, local luthiers and online reviews/articles.

IMHO, Hollowbodys are a totally different animal from traditional, passive solid body basses. When I first played one, what I noticed immediately was the airy resonance and the lively low-mid "whump" a hollowbody bass provides. After sitting with one for awhile, I noticed that in the process of finding "my tone", my fingers and the instrument became one with each other. What I mean by that is, the input my fingers had on my tone / sound felt immediate, absolute and, after time and practice, sounded articulate.

I bought a 1973 Yamaha SA-75 after seeing/hearing Josh Homme play one in the movie Soundcity and it is a really cool instrument, but kinda one dimensional. Plus, a short scale bass is not my thing for a long gig. Soooooo, after a bit of research and playing quite a few of them, I took a flyer on this online gem - and I'm so glad I did.

Ladies and Gents - an immaculate 2007 Lakland Skyline Hollowbody with Barts and TI Flats.
    The manifestation and perfection of old school articulation and "tone-ification".

IMG_2272. IMG_2278. IMG_2273. IMG_2281. IMG_2279. IMG_2284. IMG_2282. IMG_2275. IMG_2266.

It's Really, Really, Really got that old school articulation/vibe, and it's Really, Really, Really tonally versatile. Pardon my blather, but it's Really, Really, Really hard to "Curb My Enthusiasm" :D

BTW - It looks quite at home next to Bob's old bass, don't you think?
    Thanks for looking and Happy Thumpn' !!

IB

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    retslock, BEADG63, nixdad and 67 others like this.
  2. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    That's stunning. Sounds like you've made a magic match.

InnerBass likes this.
  3. InnerBass

Dec 8, 2014
    Stage Left
    Hey OH -

It really has been a revelation for me. I'm in a couple of bands where there is a lot of frequency "room" and this particular hollowbody just fills that low-mid lane so richly and articulately. The throaty-ness of its voice is just so unique and cool.

Someday I'd like to compare this to a Lakland USA hollowbody. But this bass is absolutely magic. It didn't need a set-up, adjustment or a tweak. The previous owner treated it with much TLC.

The Lakland website says the Indonesian Skylines now have one piece maple necks and a maple top instead of mahogany. Not sure what the Korean Skyline specs were in 2007. This one's top end sounds/feels like it has a maple top, but what do I know?
    ;)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    RodneyMac likes this.
  4. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    Big fan. Nicely done.

InnerBass likes this.
  5. That is a beautiful bass. Unique, but still classic looking. I dig it.

Bill Whitehurst, Helix and InnerBass like this.
  6. InnerBass

Dec 8, 2014
    Stage Left
    Me to, Scuzzy. These hollowbody basses really are a wonder.

7. InnerBass

Dec 8, 2014
    Stage Left
    You’re right on the money, ES.
    I’ve seen some silver and gold Skyline HB’s, but I like the deep red vibe combined with the old school look. I think the new Skyline HB’s only come in a sunburst? The website says the USA’s have the color choice.

8. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    Total Beauty! I've never played a hollow body electric bass, but that one is certainly visually gorgeous!

Congrats on finding your soul mate!

instrumentalist and InnerBass like this.
  9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

Congrats, rock it hard! :bassist:

InnerBass likes this.
  10. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    That's hawt.

11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    *sigh*

I wish you hadn't done this. There is one for sale about three blocks from my parents' house. And they are coming here this weekend.

:banghead:

I do NOT need another bass.

12. InnerBass

Dec 8, 2014
    Stage Left
    I had only done a “drive by” as far as really digging into their tonal possibilities and I think the Barts really help with the versatility.

She really does feels like a bass soul mate, 2 cool!

13. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    What does this strange concept of "need" have to do with it? :woot:

14. InnerBass

Dec 8, 2014
    Stage Left
  15. InnerBass

Dec 8, 2014
    Stage Left
    Thanks bh - I really dig Rallie Red !

16. InnerBass

Dec 8, 2014
    Stage Left
    There’s always room for dessert, TF! A hollowbody will change your life, if not your bank account :laugh:

two fingers likes this.
  17. InnerBass

Dec 8, 2014
    Stage Left
    It never does anymore :laugh::laugh:

18. InnerBass

Dec 8, 2014
    Stage Left
    You should at least find out what color it is ;)

Sub-hoo-fer and bholder like this.
  19. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    Very cool bass! Lakland knocked it out the park with that design. They hit the perfect 'sweet spot' between retro and modern. The design is modern where you need, but retro where you want it. No weird weak/woofy/muddy pickups or fiddly rosewood saddles. A proper bridge, proper tuners and proper electronics. But it doesn't look like a modern bass with an F-hole grafted in.

I keep a wee eye out for these coming up used.

SirMjac28, Nedmundo and InnerBass like this.
  20. InnerBass

Dec 8, 2014
    Stage Left
    You nailed it Axstar. It’s a hollowbody that sounds and feels solid, but still has that old school airiness and delicacy. And you can gig it without feeling like it’s going to fall apart, so to speak.

Axstar likes this.