1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD - Ibanez SR300

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Davidfern94, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Well I say new bass day, I got this bass a week ago, after my Squier Mike Dirnt Signature decided to die on me (complete and utter failure of all the cheap hardware) really, that bass was just abused all its life, (don't worry folks, one day when I find the money to do a projects the good parts will be used again, the seymour duncan SPB-3's shall be used).

But anyway, in a quick rush I got down to the local guitar shop I explained to the owner of the shop what had happened and that my band was going to be touring france in 3 days!, he then directed me over the Ibanez range of basses, as a fan of the fenders and musicmans I never thought I would have even thought about buying an Ibanez bass, but after sitting down with the bass and playing it, I started to realise how good this guitar was, well put together, great set-up, lovely active bass sound, nice fast neck, every guitar in the range was the same!

Being on a budget of around £300 (I am only a student) I bought the SR300 in a lovely white finish which glistens in the sunlight. Adding a strap, new lead, set of strings and talking the manager into giving me a bit of discount as the guitar was a display model, I managed to seal the deal at £315.

I have just come back of the tour I did with my school swing band, who play everything from Glen Miller to Abba to The Commodores, the bass fitted in perfectly, the electronic preamp was pumping some beautiful sounds through the school's Ashdown amp. The guitar was very reliable, it gigged 3 times within a week, once in northern france, once near paris and once more in the south, everytime I got it out of the Coffin Case (not a perfect fit due to the Ibanez SR300 being a slim bass, but nothing a custom foam job couldn't sort) it was in tune and ready to play.

Due to the bass being a display model I am now going to do a restring and clean up of the bass, it's first since it has left the factory, a set of rotosound swing bass strings 105-45 should be the perfect match, and a nice clean up with the Dunlop Guitar Tech Kit should make my beauty shine.

Overall I would recommend any bass in the Ibanez SR range, they all seem to fit the bill and can compete with the big names of the bass world even if you're on a budget.

Any questions please don't hold back

2. Good choice--glad you like it.

I've been looking at a green SR300 with a maple fingerboard. Plays just as nice as my SR500, with a more interesting visual. Just worried that I won't like the pickups as much as my Bartolinis, so I need to plug it in next time.

3. I've heard those Bartolinis are pretty good, what type of pickups would I need to swap into my SR300, they're a really strange dimension I am sure

4. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    NO PICS = NO NBD

5. Sorry, here you go

29dzbya.

There she is in the foam cut outs

6. I kind of dig the pearly white Ibanez uses. I had an SR 535 that same color.

I put better Barts in mine. THIS IS NOT A PLUG (not intentionally anyway). Best Bass Gear has dimensions of all the pups they sell, and thanks to TB threads about Ibby pups, I found some that were a definite upgrade from stock.

Have fun in France.

7. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Cool! Dig the coffin case too,.

8. USA Bart MK4. These are the pickups on the top of the line Soundgears, while the SR500, 600 and 700 use the MK1 which is made in China or someplace.

Should be a drop-in replacement, but measure yours and compare to the specs on the linked page.

9. neddihem

neddihem

Jul 27, 2012
    nice bass, I like mine alot

10. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Beautiful bass! Congrats, hope you enjoy! I love Bart's they sound excellent...

11. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    The SR300's are very nice. Congrats I like their pups better then barts to, The only problem those seen to have regular is tuhe bridge saddle screws being too thin for the saddle holes. Which results nin saddle riding down the screws from string vibration. Locktite or similiar put on the saddle screws fixes the proble. In case yours developes this.

12. Thanks for all the replies, the bass is playing beautifully, and actually making my Line 6 LD150 sound decent, I would love to hear it through a higher end amp, I better get saving !