1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD... Ibanez SR805, aged whiskey burst...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Spidey2112, Jan 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    A little late with the official NBD announcement, as this did arrive after Black Friday... of course, nothing does it justice like the pics from Sweetwater...

1253486837-20171122-221159144.

386792738-20171122-2212045.

Closeout (2015) from Sweetwater, and great price, at that! I ordered the day before Thanksgiving (D'oh!), and it finally arrived the following Tuesday... even ground shipped should have been next day, as I'm only about 4 hours away... FedEx tracking was horrible, as was to be expected, but the delivery box came in great condition, so all was forgiven.

Gave it it's customary 24 hour acclimation period, noticing a few minor annoyances, upon opening (small crease on front side of body, control knobs adjusted low enough to impede their ability to to turn smoothly... one was actually loosening the lock nut... the route for the rear access panel exhibited uneven depth, high in some spots and low in others... 55 point inspection, indeed) and one 'major' nag (intermittent output jack).

My rep (Dan Robinson) at Sweetwater was awesome through the whole process, and gave me plenty of options to resolve my concerns with the bass... as I've told others within this forum, it's not your bass, until you say so...

I didn't want to return it to Ibanez's repair facility, the closest outside Pittsburgh, I believe. Dan even gave me the option of repair reimbursement, with a local tech... didn't want to do that, either. We agreed on Sweetwater sending a replacement barrel output jack to me, and I would repair it. I noted to Dan, in writing, this may void Ibanez's one year warranty, and he reassured me, in writing, that the do-it-myself repair wouldn't void their 2 year warranty... in the long run, it really pays to get this stuff documented.

Finally got the time to make the repair, today. The original output jack...

IMAG1990.

Desoldered...

IMAG1992.

I used the original lock nut, as it was more substantial than the new one...

IMAG1997.

Tested, and works like a charm! Dan also took care of me, regarding additional discount for my patience, understanding, and awesome sense of humor through this process. Pulled the protective coverings off the Bartolini's, and can now proudly claim...

... it's mine.

Have fun, guys and gals!

Spidey

2. Plake

Plake Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Man, that's a beut. Glad your customer service experience was great too. Seems to be less of that lately. Congrats! :bassist:

3. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I actually think it would have cost them more for me to send it, and possibly the case, back to them. I always heard good things regarding Ibanez, wanting to give them a try, and after playing it (mostly unplugged, of course... see 'intermittent output jack'), really wanted the deal to work... Dan saw to it, that it did... 20 years ago, the dent alone would have forced a return... funny how the ole OCD takes a backseat, when kids come along.

4. Plake

Plake Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Ain't that the truth. :roflmao::roflmao:

5. Did you need a special tool to get the recessed output jack out?
    I've often looked at the one on my SR1800E & wondered how I'd ever get it out of there if I needed to.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  6. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    9/16", open end... small turns, both coming out and going in, and didn't really crank on it, after installation... the lock nut which came with the new barrel jack was... smallish, to say the least...

IMAG1994.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  7. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    I find it off that such nice basses have such low-quality output jacks...

8. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Glad you got it resolved. I don't think much of their 55 point evaluation, I think it's just hype, but their customer service is top notch. I get an annual call from Ed just to see if I need anything.

JeffJ2112 and Spidey2112 like this.
  9. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Agreed... from what I hear, the barrel jacks have less MTBF, than their pronged counterparts... with the barrel jacks, when they go bad, you replace. When the others go bad, you bend'em back into position and go about your business... I was looking at the cavity, and the SR805 sports a pretty thin profile, so maybe that's why they went with a barrel jack...?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  10. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Note the production year... 2015. I doubt they do their inspection when they receive it... for all I know, this could have been a 'demo', with the inspection performed right before it ships (or not, as may have been the case, this time)... I'm sure they were extra busy, as everyone was right before Black Friday, but in my book, either do it, or put out the disclaimer, '55 point inspection, except for the week surrounding Black Friday'... :laugh:.

Edit: Found the Ibanez 'inspection' tag... August, 2015. Sweetwater's has signatures, but no dates... convenient, to say the least.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  11. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Here's something else, noteworthy... maybe not. The crease on the front... didn't notice it when making my selection, from the 10 or so SR805's they had available... when it arrived, seeing it, I went back to the pic, and sure enough, it's there... about 1/2" in length, to the left of the bridge pickup, in the dark perimeter... when do you think the pic was taken? When it arrived at Sweetwater, or before it shipped? I'm betting on the former...

12. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Spidey :)

good ol' whiskey drool makes them flowers grow :D

cheers and happy NBD!!!! :hyper::hyper::hyper:

Wise

13. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Nice one!

Spidey2112 likes this.
  14. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Gotta say that is right pretty! Looks like it could put out some really NICE tones.
    1.How's it feel in hand?
    2.Do you know what type of strings came with it?
    3. Can you tell us the controls?

Spidey2112 likes this.
  15. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Very nice! Congrats!

Spidey2112 likes this.
  16. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Sweet bass, great info on Sweetwater. I love my Ibanez s best, and that's the truth. Started on a SR300M, then I found my BTB200. I've accumulated quite a few other basses since, always end up playing the BTB, it has a massive sound.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  17. mikeyjm2

mikeyjm2 Keepin' it simple.

Dec 31, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Great looking bass, Spidey! Glad you were able to get the jack issue resolved on your own (especially without impacting the warranty). Congrats.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  18. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Thanks for the Talisker Skye, Wise! What? No Don Julio? As for the flowers, I'm not looking at them!*

* Fans of 'The Walking Dead' know what I'm talking about...

Wisebass likes this.
  19. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Nice one!

Spidey2112 likes this.
  20. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Thanks, @MEKer!

1. @ 8 lbs, 13 oz, it feels pretty good. They had lighter ones available, but I kept it close to 9, thinking differences in weights were more in the bodies, not the necks... the end game, less chance for neck dive with a slightly heavier body. It balances well, with, and without, a strap. The width of the neck, at the nut, is the same as the Saga 5 string kit I built (1 3/4")... the perk is the Ibanez has a thinner profile, front to back, making for a slim, fast feeling neck. The neck construction is Jatoba/Bubinga, which according to Ibanez's marketing department allows for a thinner profile neck, while maintaining a strong, sturdy neck... we'll see.

Note: Most Tb'ers will be happy to know, now that I own a bass, which in part contains any percentage of Bubinga, I can no longer, in good faith, make any more jokes involving said Bubinga... it doesn't mean I won't choose another wood to add to my stand-up routine, though.

2. I removed a couple of hang tags with Elixir's branding, so safe to assume... they are bright, plugged or unplugged.

3. A pic representation of the '15 SR805 controls:

sr705-bi-hd-4-87904_2.

Plenty of tonal options available.

Note: Based on Ibanez's online specs for the SR805, I was under the impression the mini toggle mid freq switch was a 3-way select... the pic above denotes the active EQ utilized, as well as the 2-way switch for a 2015 SR805 (Thanks, @hypercarrots!)... 2016 production included a different active EQ (ICE), as well as the 3-way mid freq switch upgrade.

I know... long-winded... I should have chosen a career in radio.