1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD!! Ibanez SRSC Content...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rashrader, Apr 12, 2019.

1. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    I’ve been heavily contemplating this purchase for months.... There are lots of great options in this price range. Here’s hoping I made a good decision.

Initial impressions are good. It definitely needs some setup work, but it is very playable out of the box. The finish is beautiful and it feels quite nice! There are lots of tonal options. It’ll take a bit of tweaking to find my happy place, but I know it’s there to be found.

Ibanez SRSC 806. My first Ibanez purchase since my long gone late 80’s purchase of a brand new SR800.

My second 6 String Bass. Good times ahead!!!

4986705F-EF3A-4F2E-A4CA-4F636E82937B.
    636005BC-2E03-4A76-8F88-D4E1BC696A6A.
    DAA48439-33D1-4C27-A438-12F83247DE48.
    C673260B-7979-42EC-A78C-2FBD4902E2A5.
    D6606C63-ED50-494F-B47E-E7FD82D8D28C.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  2. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    That's a purdy one. I have the base 506 which I think is the same ergonomics. I love the feel of it. Never thought I could handle a 6-string bass but the SR neck is amazingly thin, flat, and yet stable.

May the Bass be With You

rashrader likes this.
  3. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Congrats rashrader..!!! Wished could get one...

This 6 string SR Single Cut might be different in terms of ergonomics.

It is a beast in terms of its neck cause it doesn't follow the typical Ibanez SR series slim neck design and tight string spacing. The neck is even more behemoth than a 6 string BTB. It is wider and thicker as it has to accommodate wide 18mm string spacing (vs. 17mm on the 6 string BTB series and 16.5mm on most other 6 string SR series, including your SR506).

rashrader and bearfoot like this.
  4. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    Oh wow! That looks awesome. Congrats and have fun.

rashrader likes this.
  5. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    ah yes i see that now. The inlays are similar in shape, which made me think it was the same neck design.

I'm not sure I'd like 18mm on 6-string, though it would certainly help with thumb slap. :bassist: I particularly like chording on my 506 which is beastly enough @ 16.5mm for my medium sized hands.

that double "skunk stripe" makes your bass' neck super strong, I believe.

rashrader likes this.
  6. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    Thanks!! The 506E was on the short list as well, but I really wanted the 18mm Spacing. I can palm a basketball... My hands are pretty big. It’s very comfy for me.

bearfoot likes this.
  7. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    The neck is definitely a solid Five Ply construction. No graphite or titanium bars and only one truss rod, but it’s pretty responsive and very solid.

8. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    I can’t wait to get some lighter strings on it... These gauges are tight!!! Lol.

9. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

Apr 17, 2007
    Danielson, CT
    Nice Bass.

Even though you are wearing a Capitals jersey...

Sorry, Cane's fan here.

rashrader likes this.
  10. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    Here’s to a good series! Cheers!

CLMSHQ likes this.
  11. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    What strings did it come with, D'Addarios (color-coded ball ends) or Elixirs (all brass ball ends w/ taperwound low-B)?

Ibanez webpage shows they are Elixirs, but your pictures seem to reveal they are D'Addarios (the low-B isn't tapered at bridge side and slight color appears on one of the ball ends).

I imagined putting on some Dunlop Super Brights which feel quite more flexible than D'Addario EXL had I could have the bass.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That bass is a beauty OP. Ibanez created an impressive looking bass.

rashrader likes this.
  13. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    It has D’Addario strings on it right now, but they are definitely heavier (32-45-65-85-105-130) than I prefer. I ordered a balanced set of 28w-40-55-70-95-135t. Each string weighs in at around 34lbs tension, which is right about where I like them.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    Aidil likes this.
  14. Kubicki Fan

Kubicki Fan

Oct 3, 2014
    Canada
    Enjoy your new bass! Looks fantastic :drool:

15. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Oooooh. I’ve messed around a bit with the 4 and 5 string versions at my local GC. Surprised how much midrange character there was. Beautiful bass good sir. Enjoy!

rashrader likes this.
  16. sludgetail

sludgetail Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2018
    Orange, CA
    Nice brotha, def a looker!

Play her in great health :)

rashrader likes this.
  17. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    Thanks!! I will definitely keep her healthy. :D

sludgetail likes this.
  18. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Stunning! I once briefly owned a 5-string version when they first came out. These are fun basses and very comfortable! They sound excellent as well! Congratulations and enjoy!

rashrader likes this.
  19. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I haven't been a fan of Ibanez's newer stuff in many years... but that looks nice.

Interesting place for the battery compartment... no?

rashrader likes this.
  20. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

beautiful ax! i'm not sure how you'd get a better looking bass --- and i'm sure it will play well for you, too. congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

rashrader likes this.