1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - It's a dinosaur from the 80s, Peavey Dynabass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Maxdusty, May 3, 2021 at 8:11 PM.

1. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Realized I didn't do an NBD post for this bass I got a couple of days ago as I'm really enjoying the bass.

I commented on that recent post regarding cutting back on the number of basses - I have been in the process of paring down my collection and down to essentially two basses as players ( four basses in total but one is only being kept for sentimental reasons, another will be given to my son). One of the keepers is my US Fender P bass, the other one I was a little on the fence about, a G&L Tribute L2000. I love the Tribute but ultimately, it had too much of a modern sound and aggressiveness for this old guy. I decided to look for a Fender Jazz bass and having that as the other bass.
    I was also reading the post about the demise of the US Peavey basses.

Come to think of it, both these posts were by a particular and well regarded member of the TB community named after a dairy product with a post graduate degree. Yes, I both blame and thank you Dr. Cheese for this. lol

In a weird twist, a US Peavey bass that I was curious about showed up on my local FB Marketplace, and reading some posts regarding the model in the Peavey group, I decided on a lark to take a chance on asking to see if the other person was interested in a trade. I have previously owned a bass with the Super Ferrite pickups (a Foundation) so knew what to expect. it wasn't the Jazz bass I had planned to have but two single coil pickups with a more beefy tone to it seemed more up my alley.
    The Dynabass also had the option to go active or passive (okay, that's a check mark in its favor), It was a 1986 model (good year, good year fond HS memories), the bass was in great shape according to the Ad (sounding better and better) ......and it had a Kahler tremolo bridge. (okay, that was it, sounded too enticing, I had to try to get it).

Well, the seller was open to the trade, so we did it - each one of us happy at the prospect of what we would be getting.

It was better than I had expected, the neck is super slim. It's 1.5" but the radius of 8" made it seem even slimmer and pretty comfortable....oh and the sound, absolutely glorious. It was also in terrific condition, much better than I could have hoped for, other than a little bit of tarnish on the bridge, the bass looked like it was just bought a couple of years ago, not the 35 years the bass has been around. I know Peavey basses aren't the most expensive nor are they the highest quality boutique basses or even highly regarded by some, but let me tell you, some of these old Peavey basses are true gems and great players that were affordable even when they were sold new and more so today as often one of best deals you can find in a used bass. Wish I knew about Peavey basses when I was just starting out on the bass, I only thought Peavey made amps where I used to live.

While the G&L had terrific versatility and still feel is a great option, the Peavey Dynabass has a more subdued and for lack of a better description, an old school kind of active bass sound, a little like an Ibanez Musician I used to own in the 80s. I haven't really used the tremolo yet as I need to find a Kahler 1/4" one to put on it (I can put the one I have for a guitar on it, but it's not the right size for it to stay without falling off) but I don't think I'll be using that very often anyway.

While I'm going to be happy with my two basses for a while, I have to admit, some of these other Peavey models, the TL, the Cirrus or the Peavey Cyberbass...have piqued my interest.
    179186188_518892229127989_6205921004311996496_n.jpg

179356906_458683815194177_2516713317025764950_n.jpg

and then there were three....well, four. (one is just for sentimental reasons and not really one I would play)
    181907409_474747900505980_4537502169506748874_n.jpg

2. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Congratulations can't beat USA Peavey, that Kahler is the icing on the cake. I have 3 or 4 USA Peavey basses, a Dyna Bass has been on the list for quite some time.

dkelley, Reedt2000 and Maxdusty like this.
  3. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Thank you...tbh, I've never seen a Dyna Bass in person until now. I've seen a Blue Unity once before in our local CL that caught my attention last year but disappeared before I had a chance to ask to see it.

4. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I guess Dyna basses also came in two neck sizes, 1 11/16" and 1 1/2". I have the 1 1/2" but with the neck radius being 8" it makes it feel even slimmer.
    dynabassmanual.jpg

Chrome Dome, btmpancake and Reedt2000 like this.
  5. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    sweet

Maxdusty likes this.
  6. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Factory installed trem! That's awesome :woot:

dkelley and Maxdusty like this.
  7. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    That's great! Love the trem and in white to boot! Noice.

I have 2 Sarzos and one in particular is a Top Ten. Just amazing in every way. I think I read somewhere they share the same preamp with Dynas. I need a historian to verify.

Great deal. Enjoy!

Maxdusty and Reedt2000 like this.
  8. DrMole

DrMole Supporting Member

Love it!:thumbsup:

Maxdusty likes this.
  9. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Oh the hilarity of it. This is priceless. And there appears to be no way out. The only alternative option I see is "well regarded member of the TB community with a post graduate degree named after a dairy product."

I dare not drink my morning coffee lest I spew it all over my monitor screen from laughing.

We are under a tornado watch as I type this. I needed some laughter. Thank you.

10. It may be a dinosaur but it certainly is not extinct. Those pickups rock.:bassist:.

Bill Whitehurst and Maxdusty like this.
  11. I played one of these in the 80's, white with gold hardware. The trem actually stayed in tune. Great bass, congrats and enjoy.

And the Cirrus is an amazing bass. I own two USA fivers.

Last edited: May 4, 2021 at 11:44 AM
    dkelley and Maxdusty like this.
  12. cm3ohana

cm3ohana Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2005
    Great score on the Dyna! I used to have one and loved that bass. Congrats! Enjoy!!!!

Maxdusty likes this.
  13. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Thanks for all the comments, it is indeed a wonderful bass and much better than I ever hoped for.
    Interesting review of the Dyna bass when it first came out. I read this prior to making the trade offer and was puzzled by a particular part in the review:-

"Interestingly, the neck comes in two versions; either Standard (1 11/16") or Narrow (1 1/2"). This compares with Fender's typical 1 3/4" for a Precision and 1 1/2" for a Jazz - pretty similar, in fact, Peavey U.K. supplied us with the narrow necked version of their Dyna bass for this review, but curiously (especially as the 'office bass' is a rather nice Tokai Jazz and we're all pretty familiar with its dimensions) there was general agreement that the Peavey felt a bit too slim for our tastes; so, unless you have either tiny fingers or Lilliputian leanings, we reckon you'd be well advised to stick to the Standard option."

The article:-Peavey's Vortex 2 & Dyna Bass (IT Dec 85) (muzines.co.uk)

I've owned my share of Ibanez SR basses, Fender Jazz basses so I'm used to basses with slim necks, but I have to agree with this article, while I love the neck (and more so the bass attached to it) and my hands are indeed a little on the smaller side. the 1.5" neck on my bass does feel even slimmer than any of those basses I previously mentioned, partly due to the 8" radius and while it works for me, I can easily see how some will find it a little too slim. If you're looking for a bass with an extremely slim feeling neck, this would be one of them.

I have to say the Kahler bridge is something i'm not used to but loving the kind of adjustments it gives me. Yes, it has that whammy bar, but the way you can adjust the bridge string width easily or even add another saddle for a fiver is interesting. There's a "rail" that keeps the saddles in place, and adjusting the string width would entail just unlocking the saddles and sliding them to the appropriate and preferred string spacing at the bridge. Also, you can unhook the rail and slide in another saddle to turn it into a five string- which on this bass would be an extremely narrow string spacing- but keep a neck with five tuners and a nut cut for that 5th string handy along with the bass (along with strings already on the tuners- the bridge also allows for easy removal/addition of strings), you could theoretically have a four and five string bass all in one case.

Last edited: May 4, 2021 at 11:22 AM
    dkelley likes this.
  14. Paul Szegedin

Paul Szegedin

Dec 28, 2020
    That would be pretty wild to have five strings within a 1.5" (38mm) nut width wouldn't it? Why don't you try it and show us? Some people might actually dig that.

Maxdusty likes this.
  15. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i don't see how you could have done any better --- that ax checks all of the big boxes! it looks great...and it looks like it might just be a lot of fun. congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

Maxdusty and dkelley like this.
  16. OMG I would KILL for a bass with a quality whammy bar design like that. And it happens to be a very good bass as well.

And having made my name (who now? hahaha) with an ibanez musician bass, I'd be keen on that sound.

Man... that's just an amzing find.

Maxdusty and Reedt2000 like this.
  17. Jeff Hughes

Jeff Hughes

May 3, 2020
    Is this some kind of joke that Peavey refers to the bass as an "appliance" in the Warning?

Am I missing some kind of pun?

Maxdusty likes this.
  18. Yellow Bang66

Yellow Bang66

Jun 5, 2019
    Ohhh the memories!! I was in high school in the 80's and all my buddies were into RR & EVH and for them a Floyd Rose was the ultimate!! then one day at the local music store they got A bass with a bar! I got so excited!! until Brrrummm blat! it was useless You maybe could drop a whole step until the pickups snatched the strings and nothing I think I spent 15 minutes trying to figure out how to best use it then gave up my guitar playing buddy tried & gave up faster! I never gave it another thought. I figured I d leave it up to someone else to figure it out. then id give it another try! but alas no one did. I saw Billy sheehan put one on his bass, but he never did anything with it. so it was the last time I saw or played one! GL! Nice bass. maybe youll be the one to figure it out!

Maxdusty likes this.
  19. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Nice one Maxdusty! I have missed a few Dyna's in the past, none really grabbed me. I'm glad you like yours, looks very cool. Hey, maybe I'll bump into you at Marty's one of these days.:cool:

Maxdusty likes this.
  20. bassfreakah

bassfreakah

Mar 26, 2011
    Endorsing Artist Ernie ball strings
    LOVE THAT BAD BASS BRO!!!!

Maxdusty likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021